That Rabbit - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
TE Junior Member

Default That Rabbit

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting really fed up with seeing that dead rabbit hanging around on the opening page?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: That Rabbit

That subject has been discussed here: http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=1&t=444557&m=621581
I don't understand what's the problem with this particular one...Many good critiques arose from this post, that's why it comes back in featured critique...
Have a nice day,
marc
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Marc,

I have no problem with the critiques or the debates this picture has provided. In fact, I have no particular issue either way on the subject. I can quite clearly see both sides of the argument as to why the picture should be on this site or not. Debates and differences of opinion are great to read, and it is one of the many aspects of this site that I like so much.

My only "criticism" is the regularity with which it appears on the Home page. It seems that every time I open up this site, it's staring back at me!...but I guess that's what keeps the discussion going....

Have a good weekend, Vicky
Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 PM
TE Expert

Maybe I was not clear... It's because many critiques are marked as useful. So, it's not always the same critiques that are featured. One hour it's the rabbit featuring X's critique, the hour after it's the rabbit featuring y's critique, etc...I think it's part of the reason. Plus, many members placed it in their favorites, so it could come back also in feature pic (I did not see that though).
Have a nice day,
Marc
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM
TE Newbie

This seems to be yet another flaw with this site. Other images that deserve attention don't get it simply because one or six controversial photos keep generating "discussion." I too am sick of seeing that damn rabbit, among others, but it seems we are helpless about some of the injustices associated with this site. Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
TE Expert

Hi Vicky,
I'm fed up too... I don't understand the way the homepage gets generated because it seems it's not really random.
Even if I can understand pics (really uninteresting) have to avoided, it's frequently the same "happy few" which appear.
Stéphane
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 AM
TE Junior Member

Arrgh...the dead rabbit appears once more... what madness...
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM
TE Senior Member

Default The bloody rabbit

is back at the moment I write, or could be its ghost ! This gain a lot of views to it and it will bee reaching 10 000 views in the next days.. At this this occasion I propose we organise a barbecue ! this will lead it out of the front pages and let it repose quietly. The debate as longed too much !
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The bloody rabbit

Hey, Adam, if you're reading this - I suggest you add a sqrt() around the expression you use to calculate the chance of showing any particular critique (or even x^(1/4)) - this will leave more approved critiques as more probable for showing, but reduce the effect of an extreme case such as this.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Lo and behold - it's here again today.

I give up! There must be something to this picture that I'm missing, although I take the point of "loops" and "meaningful critiques" that other posters here have mentioned.

I look every day in depth at the photographs on this site. The majority of truly excellent pictures have not accrued anything like the amount of points and interest this one has. I know everything is subjective and a matter of preference and taste.... but come on. Despite it's controversial nature, does it really deserve such constant coverage? I know, I know. I guess just by starting this forum discussion, I've drawn even more attention to it. Gonna shut up now and let it lie, but I have to air my views on something I feel strongly about.

I just want justice for the masses!!!

Have a good weekend everyone.