Copy and Paste: Comments you should see - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Copy and Paste: Comments you should see

Here is something that everyone should see.

No critiques, but just comments. All of them are copy and paste.

<A HREF="http://www.trekearth.com/critiques.php?offset=1&filter=ommishra&type=writte n
">Here is the link</a>.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Copy and Paste: Comments you should see

Opps. Wrong link.

Here it is
Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
TE Newbie

He could have at least made the comments a little personal to each photo. This should not be allowed.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 AM
TE Newbie

At least he posts them as comments, so you can't suspect point hunting or trading...
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 AM
TE Senior Member

However, he is not the only one doing it.The bland comments with weak, non-specific content are typical of the point swapping cartels. However, the fact that they are comments and not critiques, is probably due to the admins having noticed this too and having turned off his critiquing facility. I feel sure, that if he were able, they would they been critiques.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 AM
TE Junior Member

I agree with you Kevin. That may be the case. That is interesting. Good point.

Sothy
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Or, he's quite bad with English and feels that this is appropriate to express his pleasure with each photo.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 AM
TE Senior Member

The worst of the PSC [or point buddies] have a style that is not copy-paste, but it also is not original, and their critiques are all a combination of the same thoughts, words, points of critique etc.
Others are less sophisticated and work like Om. I've seen it several times last month.
It's a shame, his photo's are interesting.
If language is a problem, he could at least write the notes in his native language, maybe someone else on TE could help him translate.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
TE Senior Member

"The worst of the PSC [or point buddies] have a style that is not copy-paste, but it also is not original, and their critiques are all a combination of the same thoughts, words, points of critique etc."

You are making a very insightful point, David and a true one. I am often aware, when writing critiques, that I fall back on a reservoir of standard vocabulary. But, surely, this is true of all critiquing.(of most thought and opinion too!) We all have our personal ways of looking at and appreciating images and our own words to express what we like. In making repeated critiques, it seems inevitable that we assemble a collection of phrases, chosen from the same basket of stock phrases. But , what seems to me to be important, is whether the critique (the assemblage of stock phrases) was put together honestly and in response to the image before us. I think we can tell when a critique was built for the image in question, even if it was built from recycled materials. I defy anybody to write 20 truly original and non repetitive critiques a day, however much integrity they have.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
TE Expert

I defy anybody to write 20 truly original and non repetitive critiques a day
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes, it's hard, I must admit. In my heyday, the best i could come up with, truly original and non repetitive was 17. Otherwise, 12 to 15 was my average. :-)

You know, it's funny but sometimes a well thought word or adjective, the pointing at of a correspondance within the compo, or an hint that a cultural point is well made by the poster, all in a 2 line critique shows that the person has paid attention to what is being said or shown in a photo. If we read books where photos are critiqued and talked about, one sees that the technical side is NEVER alluded too. Only the literary side, the genesis of the image, possibly within a social or historical contest, where the intention, the stance of the photographer is scrutinized. there is much elliptical talk, more than with painting.

Even at a lesser degree, our shots have that kind of history to it, and the reward is when someone shows he shared a bit of the emotion or interest you had in taking it. the "have a good week-end" critique (we all did it, if not signed as such), are so transparent we can see the superficial, lazy take about it.