Earth From The Air - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-21-2004, 04:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default Earth From The Air

I went into Birmingham (England)today with the family mainly for the Frankfurt Christmas Market (Brum is 'twinned' with Frankfurt). Nice, bloody cold mind you, which somehow seems right.
Anyway, stumbled upon the Earth From The Air photo exhibition by Yann Arthus-Bertrandand and was stunned.
Much to the annoyance of the family I had to study each and every one of the giant prints on display. It's a project which he undertook over something like 10 years, most of the photos were taken from helicopters with a Canon EOS1N, a L series 17-400 zoom lens, Fuji Velvia 50, and the giant images are mostly superb, many are breathtaking, all are interesting and abouts as TE as it gets!.
The gallery images on the dedicated website linked below do no justice at all to the large printed images but I expect the book might and I will now look to buy it.
What I find inspiring is that the choice of camera, lens, film combo is affordable for most amateurs,even if the travel and helicopter costs are not!
In other words any decent camera, lens and film can take great photos, it's up to the photographer to find them, frame them, compose them and expose them.
I didn't have much enthusiasm for this outing into Brum, and I'm on something of a photo downer at the moment, but the exhibition just totally blew the cobwebs away.
http://www.earthfromtheair.com/
Old 11-21-2004, 04:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Earth From The Air

Ian,
i visited the site a browse on the images taken from a helicopter. like you i am impressed with the shots. its uniqueness and differents persfective is just superb. thanks for sharing....rgds
Old 11-21-2004, 11:00 PM
TE Newbie

I agree totally that Yann Arthus-Bertrand is a brilliant photographer. I was given a copy last year as a present and it is stunning. It's called 'Earth From The Air 365 Days' (ISBN 0-500-54238-4).
It costs 25 but it is the ideal present for someone who loves photography.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:58 PM

That exhibiton was in Lisbon last summer and I saw it. It really worth a visit! Not only to see the photos but to look at the many of the impressive statistics that go with them.

Here the problem was the brutal heat... For us to see the exhibition we had to look for the shadows of the billboards... :-)