missing countries - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-21-2003, 12:37 AM
TE Junior Member

Default missing countries

It seems there's no Mongolia in the country list, nor Moldova. Could they be added?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: missing countries (Mongolia & Moldova Added)

Mongolia and Moldova have been added.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: missing countries

Thanks, Adam, for adding those countries. I'm enjoying your site immensely - since discovering it I spend more hours browsing the pictures and commentaries each day than I care to admit! I like the variety of ways you can find your way to new images: through the gallery, by author, through someone else's favourites. I've wondered whether it wouldn't also be possible to link from an image to those who have chosen it as a favourite? And how about getting much of the data on the upload page from the EXIF information in the image file, when it exists?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:36 PM
TE Expert

I'm glad you enjoy the site, thank you for participating.

"I've wondered whether it wouldn't also be possible to link from an image to those who have chosen it as a favourite?"

In the future I will make it possible to see who has added a particular photo to their Favorites, this is definitely needed.

"And how about getting much of the data on the upload page from the EXIF information in the image file, when it exists?"

Since photos on this site must be resized, all EXIF data is usually lost for most members I believe. But since it's retained for some images, I'll look into retaining the EXIF data. This won't happen soon however.

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:34 AM
TE Expert

"And how about getting much of the data on the upload page from the EXIF information in the image file, when it exists?"

OK, this is now available. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:56 AM
TE Junior Member

That's great, Adam - well done! Since there's been so much discussion about making the camera a mandatory field, perhaps it would be a good idea to grab that, too. It should also have the benefit of giving a consistent naming to the different models.

Also, my G3 takes shots with some very odd exposure times and apertures - they're rarely in the drop-down, so they'll not be accepted. Perhaps, instead of requiring membership of the list, you could do a syntax check on the entries?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
TE Expert

"Since there's been so much discussion about making the camera a mandatory field, perhaps it would be a good idea to grab that, too."

OK, I have aded this in, too. The way it works is as follows:

If the camera specified in the EXIF info matches any camera in one's camera profile, this will be selected. If it does not exist, one's default camera will be selected. If this is not set, N/A will be displayed in the dropdown. A different camera in one's profile may be selected any time.

"Perhaps, instead of requiring membership of the list, you could do a syntax check on the entries?"

Well I could do one of the following if f-stop does not already exist:

1. Display the closest f-stop setting.
2. Add any new f-stop settings to the database automatically.
3. Display N/A (current behavior).

Any opinions on which one would be best?
Old 06-27-2003, 05:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: F-stop and speed (Was missing countries)

I think the best would be to add the F-stop and Tv to the database immediately. That way new values can be entered without you having to manually watching over it. If there is not one in EXIF then the best thing would be to display N/A.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:49 AM
TE Expert

"I think the best would be to add the F-stop and Tv to the database immediately."

This has been done for f-stop only for the time being as a test. If there are any problems please let me know.

Due to this change, previous f-stop data has been cleared. I will restore this f stop data tomorrow. Sorry for this problem.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 AM
TE Expert

"I will restore this f stop data tomorrow."

f-stop data has been restored.