Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Fishing for points?

That's funny, I think, that you point to that second photo as an indicator of quality, Jack. While it's a technically nice photo, I think it could arguably be disqualified from the TE site altogether. I'm not saying it should be -- but does it really meet the TOS? Not so sure. A close up of an eye with snow on it. Perhaps it belongs more on TrekLens. Anyway, my point is that, to coin a phrase, "quality is in the eye of the beholder." (No pun intended.)

(The first linke you have here, by the way, leads to a photo that is no longer there.)
Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for the new link. I didn't see this before I sent my earlier reply about it being broken.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
TE Expert

Congratulations, Willem: you've just reinvented the wheel!

There should be more or less 100 thread in the forum dealing with points, friends, bad photo with a lot of point, good photo with no point and so on... Nothing new under the sun.

Some care about points, some don't. Some are giving points just to get points back. Who cares?

Last thing, some members are uploading beautifull photos without ever taking the time to wrote critiques. Their picts get only few points and it's OK to me: TE is a communauty, you get what you give.

Cheers,

Loïc
Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
TE Expert

Salut, François!

J'ai mis ma pierre à l'édifice, on devrait y arriver! :D
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
TE Newbie

You probable are right about all those threads about this subject, but unfortunately it seems almost impossible to make a good search in the forum. It's not a forum which a newbie can easily explore. But yesterday I was really surprized by all that mediocrety which got more praises then some of the most beautiful photos I saw on this site. I simply couldn't understand.
Side-effect of this thread is that my pictures got more sincere critiques in one day then they probably would have gotten normally in a year time. ;-))
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
TE Expert

Agree with you Hugh that the photo is not typical TE - for me it's more like a 'studio, shot. Still I find the tech and idea interesting - and at the time posted I'm not sure there was any TL.

Jack
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
TE Newbie

Why, you get to know about the anatomy of the human eye, so it doesn't violate the rules.
Great photo though.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 AM
TE Expert

Willem, here's a little point...

Points in TE are a mix of:

- quality of the photo (whatever some may say)
- attractivity of the subject (a bad photo showing a tropical beach with beautifull girls will get more point than a good photo of a country landscape in Luxembourg)
- activity of the member in the TE community (number of critique -good one or "copy / paste" one)
- reputation (not sure about the word in english) of the member (quality of the written critiques, number of photo uploaded, time here, number of TE meeting done...etc)

And yes, there was, there is and there always will be people fishing for points. That should only be a problem for you if you're yourself running after points... ;-)

Cheers and see you on TE!

Loïc
Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 AM
TE Junior Member

Willem, what do you expect from a "good" search? Captures declared "good" by others? And you are not willing to follow their "good" declaration by smilies? What do you need as a declaration for being "good"? Your personal impression of being "good"? And you expect to have a search on those you have not seen before but to get those you would declare as "good"?
I like to explore myself and declare myself too what I like. I do not need the advice of others for my decision if one is good or not. But I appreciate that others tell me what they think of being worthy to be appreciated. Like the world, this one is a big exploration, not to be done in days, it lasts longer.
Merry Christmas, Ulf
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM
TE Expert

Ulf,

I don't really understand... If your message is an answer to Willem's last message, he was not meaning search of good photos on TE but he was pointing that it's hard to do an efficient search in the forum (and I totally agree with him on that point). But perhaps are you refering to another message?

Merry Chritmas to you and to all...

Loïc