Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photo Copy Right

How can one take copyright of his / her photgraph? I want to mark copyright in my photographs to prevent others to download / copy in this site or any other places.
Pls. advise the process
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Photo Copy Right

Not sure about your question, debasish...

But if you want to know how to write " DEBASISH MANDAL" onto your photo, use any picture editing software...

I hope it will help...
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
TE Newbie

Make sure you also enter the year such as
2007 DEBASISH MANDAL
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
TE Newbie

You can use a watermark-app, which are specially made for this purpose. But you have to understand that when you put something on the internet, anyone can do with it what they want without you knowing it. Copyright is something you already automatically have, even without explicitly mentioning it. And it is very easy to crop a watermark, so nobody sees it anymore. You can of course leave a watermark all over the image, but that isn't very nice to watch. Most important measure is probably not putting hi-res images on the internet. 800x600 with reduced quality is a good practice so nobody can use it for high-quality purposes. But there is absolutely no way to prevent someone to download your work.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
TE Newbie

Debasish,
The above poster is absolutley correct when he said there is no way to prevent someone from downloading your photo off TE without your consent or knowledge. It is a topic / problem that has come up in the past, and many TE users have expressed a concern and/or desire to have the site admin control the problem. If or Until that happens my practice has been to simply NOT post those photos which you think are eligible for copyright abuse. Perhaps not the best solution, but without the ability to control unauthorised downloads,(and watermarks being prohibited) it seems the only way to prevent "stealing". Keep your good photos to yourself........unfortunetely.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:07 PM
TE Senior Member

I cannot see the reason why the year should be entered also. It's an option, but with or without the year, you still have copyrights.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Maybe because copyright expires after a certain number of years/amount of time?
Old 12-26-2007, 07:47 PM
TE Senior Member

I'm not 100 % sure, but I don't think so...
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 AM
TE Expert

Hi,
Copyright laws vary from country to country... however, to be legally protected, in France, you have to register the works you want to be under copyrights.
Laurent
Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
TE Newbie

Lukie you are right that even without the year, the copyright stays with you. Here is an article that I found regarding this issue.

"If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted."
This was true in the past, but today almost all major nations follow the Berne copyright convention. For example, in the USA, almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not. The default you should assume for other people's works is that they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you know otherwise. There are some old works that lost protection without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless you know for sure.
It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but it is not necessary. If it looks copyrighted, you should assume it is. This applies to pictures, too. You may not scan pictures from magazines and post them to the net, and if you come upon something unknown, you shouldn't post that either.

The correct form for a notice is:

"Copyright [dates] by [author/owner]"

You can use C in a circle instead of "Copyright" but "(C)" has never been given legal force. The phrase "All Rights Reserved" used to be required in some nations but is now not legally needed most places. In some countries it may help preserve some of the "moral rights."

------

The above article can be seen in the original form at http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html