Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-06-18 6:12

Hello Bev,
Today's main photo is a real cliffhanger: "Wait for the exciting revelation in the WS". ;-)
Both wider views are very attractive and the other one could also have done well as a main upload. Minus reflections but including a human presence (Chris, isn't it?). I really like the WS with the beautifully designed dovecote (-cot), and it also forced me to (once again) look up the difference between a dove and a pigeon. It seems there isn't any, except linguistically, dove being derived from Nordic languages ("duva" in Swedish). Other distinctions are contradictory and seem to be made up in peoples' minds.
Kind regards,
Gert
But what's the difference between a cote and a cot? ;-)

Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Doves V Pigeons

Thank you for your interesting observations , Gert.
You have really set me thinking!

In my mind and those around me, pigeons are the birds that we see in social places in cities, and to some extent visiting gardens, etc. They are bluey grey, with patterns of white and pink round their neck areas
Doves are smaller in stature and are white, with a more pronounced tail.
When doves are released, as a sign of peace, they are always white.
The birds belong to the same species with little physical differences so it doesn't really matter about terminology.
I suppose doves have a better image than pigeons! But not in my garden ... I feed all the birds!

​Dovecote and dovecot - to me dovecot is an alternative form of the word dovecote.

You have made me think deeply, today!
Kind regards,
Bev