Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Lightbulb black and white images

Hi all

Again and again i hear the words "black and white images don't go down so well on TE" or words to that effect.

Anyone care to proffer any ideas on why this may be?

Cheers

John
Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 AM
TE Expert

Default Attention Grabbing

Hello John - The reason B&W is not always well received on TE (IMO) is that seen in TN view it doesn't have the immediate visual impact that brilliant colour does. For that matter, strongly contrasted and saturated images taken under brilliant light seem to get more views than shots taken under cloudy, dull conditions. I think the majority of us quickly 'scan' the TN's and pick out 1) images uploaded by people we 'know' (and a genre we like) and 2) images with high initial impact. It takes a deal more time to go through TN with a fine tooth comb.

The subtle nuances of tone, textures and light are not apparent in small TN's. The beauty of B&W images needs to be studied to be appreciated. I'm not sure that electronic media is the best way to view B&W in any event. There is nothing quite like viewing a B&W print 'in the flesh' either as an original print or as a high quality reproduction. B&W is also a niche market and often seen as more 'serious' or arty branch of photography and not of the picture postcard genre. I'm not sure that Ansel Adams, Edward Weston or Cartier Bresson would get the hits on TE if they were unknown and uploaded there work here.
(I may have put the cat among the pigeons saying that!)

Well that's my 5 cents worth and on another note; seeing your B&W work on the TN pages of 500px, they are larger, better displayed and 'easier' to read.... size does matter!

Take care

Rosemary
Old 08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Rosemary,

Oh your reply title made me laugh. I thought you were implying i was attention grabbing

Its likely just as you say the thumbnails are small and dont grab attention.

I post in portrait as its larger and more noticable and i favour this orientation.

Ansel and the likes might still have grabbed attention on here but i think it would be at the lower end of the scale

John
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
TE Expert

Default What are your thoughts?

So.... why do you think that B&W doesn't get the same attention?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
TE Junior Member

Red face

Am not sure really thats why i threw it out to the masses :-)

On the whole b/w images across most of the places i post gain less attention and i know from the club show circuit they are less likely to win than the coloured ones. Judges favour colour against b/w most of the time even if technically and artistically the b/w image may be better. (general observation of mine and others work)

So if Judging favours colour then its likely to follow suit that we all do for the best part that is.

I am just happy to have the www which allows me to see so many images without leaving my comfy chair :-)
Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Is it possible to move the tread ...

.... to "General"? I think more people will see it there.

Rosemary
Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRJW View Post
.... to "General"?
Possible
the thread has been moved to the GF.
thank you, Rosemary!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM

It may be a simple case that many people, myself included, look for images which catch the eye in the Gallery and only then open them up for detailed viewing. Black and white images will generally have less immediate impact and that may explain why they get less feedback.