Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Trent Parke's haunting odussey

I've taken to spending some time every evening transfixed in front of the monitor watching Magnum in Motion's excellent essays. This ons, beautifully and movingly narrated by the Australian Trent Parke, knocked me on my @ss:
<a href="http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/midnight.aspx">http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/midnight.aspx
</a>
Here's a guy with a hugely original visual signature who managed, in a yea-long road trip around Australia's bush country, to capture the troubled, raw sould of that vast country.
As fascinating as anything else in there is his account of his sytart as a pro sports photographer and how he sued those "chops", that special knowledge regarding timing and aniticipation of movement in his street shooting, which has now become what he does, like most Magnum chums.

Very highly recommended!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Trent Parke's haunting odussey

I haven't seen this piece, but I fully understand the comment about sports photography. A lot of high brow folks put it down but it is all about how it approached. Most things we shoot are either from reaction or anticipation. If you can anticipate something, you can capture the action... or the emotion. Sports also helps with having more patience... the ability to wait for something to happen. Motordrives also help!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
TE Expert

yeap, another lousy Auzzie! ;))

he has some great shots though, but too repetitous for me, and way too dramatised..

am i being picky?? ;)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 AM
TE Expert

also his anticipation for the timing is really great in his shots..(ie. he has the 'talent' of course..ive seen lots of sport shooters without it)
Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
TE Expert

i think sohrab met him several times as far as i remember, he was telling me that he was a very modest guy, easy going, down to earth..
Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Trent Parke's haunting odyssey

It makes absolute sense, and the implicaions are powerful, Narayan. By that I mean that this unassuming guy (who is a Magnum associate just the same) is quietly telling us that he "served his time" as one of Australia's top sports pro for 8 years and then channeled all those skills into..street shooting, which eventualy led to this great "wakabout" for a year and also Magnum. Usually the way to the street is the camera store - you buy a camera, a suitable lens and you go hunting but this guy, no, he learned all the demanding technical aspects of his trade - split second anticipation, the whole deal, and then, and only then he started on the street.
I find that revealing, and significant somehow...
Nice to hear from you, buddy!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:13 AM
TE Expert

I wasnt aware of his sport background. Personally, I dont like sports photography. Admitedly I dont search it out. But the photos of sport in the newspaper I get are always the same. I have seen good sports photography in the Worpd Press Photo competition, but I RARELY ever see anything tat good in newpapers.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 PM
TE Junior Member

I saw his work on display in London back in February, it's really something special to see his Sydney prints in the flesh, it was a small grungy gallery in Brixton. As a fellow Aussie, it made me look at where I live a bit differently, to regard the light here differently (though I personally dislike the harsh, sunny lighting he uses. I only go out when it's raining or cloudy!)

I too was surprised by his prior work as a sports photographer. I might see if I can find any of his old sports work.

I guess a lot of us stop at the "sports" in "sports photography" and think of jocks holding cameras with giant lenses. Of course, there is the "photography" side to it and it's quite refreshing to think of sports photography as just another avenue. He touches upon this idea earlier in the presentation when he talks about the camera as a means of exploring things that he would otherwise not know or regard.

Parke's presentation is still the best of the series so far, I think; the best mix of photographs and discussion. He comes across as very open and frank about himself compared to some of his colleagues.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 AM
TE Expert

Good on you, Mike, I'm so glad we feel the same way. Yes, presentation wise, it is by far the most..sophisticated and modern. I also like what this fellow Manos has to say in his "American Color" thing.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
TE Expert

Thanks Francis.

One note, and I think it's not the first time I notice it in image seekers, people who depend on the elusive,ever-changing outside to reveal their inner self, he does not seem to smile, let alone laugh a lot, yet "he loves life". Maybe it has to do with the way his discussion is set-up, I tend to think his personality has to show up a bit though, in any setting.

The closest thing I would relate it too, is witnessing certain stance from the generation after mine, the X generation, for whom (i generalize) happiness could be a bad word, a sign that if you're happy, worriless (insouciant in french), you just did not get it.

What do you think? how about you guys, are you more on the side of gregarious, or flippancy when talking about what you are after, what you go thru, with photography on your mind?

Not that he was flippant, rather reflective, yet, he is talking about what he loves most about life, his daily passion, photography, and to that effect, it may seem more like stress would be the main emotion as he carries along.