Raw - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Raw

Another RAW fan here.

In addition to the extended exposure lattitude, greater tonal range, and better post process options, there's also more fine detail - and that's important in landscapes.

If you wish to experiment - take a deatailed shot of a sandy beach, where you can see the grains. Compare the JPEG and RAW versions.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
TE Newbie

Definately a vote for Capture NX for anyone who uses a Nikon DSLR - I have tried Elements 5 Trial with the Camera Raw Plugin, but I could not get the colours quite right like I can with Capture NX, even though NX is not a fast program it does a good quality job.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
TE Junior Member

As with most of the other posters here, I must agree, RAW is the only way to go.

Cards are coming down in price. Although the larger ones (3G+) are reasonable these days, you must ask yourself how many images are you willing to lose if the card gets destroyed or goes down? I carry 4-1G cards, and 1-2G card in a dust-proof, water-proof CF card wallet.

Back to RAW...

There are many good programs on the market, but I must admit Capture One is definitely my favorite.

Whether I'm shooting with the Nikon D200 or the PhaseOne p25, it's always RAW, and always processed in Capture One. It's pricey, but worth it if you can swing it.

~V~
Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 PM
TE Newbie

I love RAW... I have only on occassions used JPEG but it was for some just plain goofing around. When I'm serious about a shot I use RAW. I have always loved the quality of the pictures. I was trained on a film camera and so I don't usually shot a lot of shots (I make sure the shots I shoot are worth it).
Old 05-27-2007, 10:50 AM
TE Expert

An one more RAW fan!

I always shot in JPEG up to I got the Nikon D200. From that moment, I switched to RAW on the D200 as well as my old Sony R1. Love the possibilities. With one shot you can do a HDR image by working on the exposure on your raw and saving different versions.

Also, the size is BIG, BUT you will take less pictures because of that! I save all in double format RAW + JPG Normal. Then I can also quickly do a slide show with the JPEG files.

Greetings, Dennis
Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Like you I am also shooting RAW for every image even when I have only 8 MB left.

Which s/w do you use for the conversion, I am quite sure Adobe is not doing full justice to my pictures, they looks better in Irfanview (RAW image viewer) than Adobe after conversion.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 PM
TE Newbie

When I shoot RAW, and using PS CE to open it, it does not recognize the file. How do I fix this thing?
Old 05-28-2007, 02:51 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Arindam!

Really? What is it that different about them? My raw images don't generally look good on the first preview in Adobe Bridge - I've usually tried to underexpose them (at least, expose for highlights), and the previewer seems to overcompensate that the opposite way by default. But after opening them once, and setting the exposure compensation and perhaps colour balance, from then on they preview fine (to my eyes). I must admit I haven't tried other software. I'd be surprised if they differ much other than in some default settings. Or perhaps I'm wrong?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 AM
TE Expert

"Which s/w do you use for the conversion"
So far Adobe Lightroom is the best software I've encountered when it comes to RAW. Nikon users might have better tools but as you know, I'm a Canon user all the way...
Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Default BreezeBrowser

I use BreezeBrowser Pro for browsing and converting RAW files, it is small and very quick, clodreno recommended it to me 2 years ago and I still use it, great software