in our pictures... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM
TE Senior Member

Default in our pictures...

Last weeks, many members followed the "stolen pictures" items on this forum. Our pictures are being stolen more and more.
I have two ideas :
1. put the thing with your name on your pictures, on a disturbing place for the thieves (maybe many viewers and members will not like it, but for myself, I'm starting to do so)
2. could it be possible to put a list on Trekearth (and TL, and TN) where the members could place the link to the websites where stolen pictures were spotted ?

And, if you see a picture of you, where it doesn't belong, do react immediately to the "thief".

regards,

Luc.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: in our pictures...

In my latest post : http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo746483.htm you can see what I mean with the thing...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Your C thing it pretty obtrusive.It looks like a sign painted on the side of the building. Unless it were smaller than that, I can't see it catching on. Anyhow, see my workshop, it is so easy to remove.

my solution is simple, to stop worrying about it. Firstly there is little danger to about 90 percent of our pictures; they are just not worth stealing. Since any picture posted on the internet can be stolen, people who really care about this, should not post their work. Most of us accept that anything that we post may be copied and used and we don't worry too much about it. Unless we are great artists or commercially successful photographers, why should be worry if some, college mag, or special interest site were to use it? The only exception would be if they were selling our pictures, and images limited to 600X800 are hardly likely to be salable to anyone. So, forget about it, most of us are not that great!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:48 AM
TE Expert

"most of us are not that great".....Speak for yourself!
;-)

- Dan
Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree with Kevin here. Actually, I would say that on the particular photo that Luc used as an example, the image actually goes counter to the TOS, as the watermark substantially changes the look of the shot.

What Kevin says is right though, although his 90% number should be raised to about 98%. Further, although I have had shots stolen from here, there has not been any real damage done to me. In most cases, a simple email will fix the issue, but even if it doesn't, we have to ask ourselves what harm is really being done? I got into a debate about this a while back and my opinion is just the same now. Photo theft, while certainly being distasteful, does not hurt us in the same way that physical theft does. If I run a store and people shoplift, that has a real effect on my store's bottom line and my ability to put food on my family's table. If one of my photos from TE gets used elsewhere, none of that is affected at all. If I find out about it, I might be miffed, but I am not hurt in any financial way at all. If it is a big company who is using my photo (very unlikely, almost all the thefts I have ever heard of have been small timers), that could be great, as it opens up a very strong possibility to a financial windfall for me. If it is a small timer, I am unlikely to gain financially, but then again I can still feed my family. Why would I get so worried about this?

Further, I (and many others) have made image sales because of posting here on TE. Those image sales have put real money into my bank account. I am more than willing to put up with the possibility that my photos get used improperly if it means that I might make sales as well. By deciding not to post, which is the only defense against image theft, I cut off any chance I have of selling the photos. This seems to me to be the classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. The downside of image theft is so far overblown IMO, while the upside of posting is very positive; I just don't know why people get so worried about things.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 AM
TE Senior Member

But I do speak for myself, Dan; the syntax is unambiguous.
It is a truism that greatness is rare and that mediocrity is common. My syntax places only one person specifically in any category, myself.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM
TE Senior Member

My opinion is that we not see it that way, Darren. If everyone would think that way, pictures from everybody can be "used". There are commercial sites who use our shots (publicity, tourism...), those who make the big money already... And I think when they use our shots, they should pay for it, if not, they are simply thiefs. I have no pretention to say I'm a good photographer, but I already sold some pictures to friends and also people that I don't know.
And I don't speak for myself, but for many other photographers...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM
TE Senior Member

to Kevinos.

I understand what you are saying, but many photo-"thiefs" are stealing shots in a quick way : it must go fast, they don't have time for Photoshop, or some don't know how to use it... Of course, some others will use Photoshop. But if only 30 % of the "thiefs" could be stopped, it's a start...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
TE Senior Member

Default size matters

Jose Elias took a different approach,
he posts his photo's with a maximum of 500 pix.
That's too small to be of any use in a lot of situations.

As for the C, It's something anyone should decide for him/herself.
As an idea, it could help.
If I see it, I would critique the photo any differently, because I would understand the reason why.

have a nice day,
David
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
TE Senior Member

I most certainly did not say that it is right that our photos are used without our consent; I just said that we are not harmed when it is done, unlike when someone steals something that we have bought and paid for. To me, this is a hugely important distinction. If I am not hurt by someone's actions, it is just not within me to get all that upset over those actions in the same was as if I (or anyone else for that matter) is hurt. I do think they should pay for use of our photos; if you reread what I have said, you won't find anything that counters that.

A lot of my point comes down to what I see as overreaction on the part of photographers in response to something which is not really a threat. Again, photo theft doesn't hurt me, so it is not really a threat. In fact, it is entirely possible that one could collect damages after a photo was used without consent; there is a possible upside to this, believe it or not. The overreaction I am speaking of would include doing things which damage our potential sales, such as not uploading photos at all, or damaging the asthetics of those photos we upload, either by compressing the hell out of the files, or adding ugly watermarks. My opinion, and I know I speak for other photographers as well, is that the damage we do to ourselves in trying to prevent theft is far more damage (in many cases at least) than the theft itself ever was.

This isn't a matter of whether the people using our images are thieves or not, as they are. it is just a matter of how little they actually hurt us. I should metnion too that many, though certainly not all, are not thieves in the standard sense, as they don't realize that images on the net aren't available for all to use. Ignorance of the law isn't a defence, but it is a reason in some of the cases.