good and never heard of - Page 9 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: good and never heard of

Thanks Peter.

The cuba gallery shoots a blank for me (the copied manifesto did not help at the beginning. Who are we kidding?).

I have to look at other ones, but about the dope, it's great that he finds expression i it, but deja vu as far as photography. And also for me, more journalism than photography. the best for me was the kid shooting at the pigeon with his toy gun. That is photography for me. the adult world is cut off, from him, but thru the played violence on the pigeon, has gotten to him already, and we can imagine the violence of alienation and substances later on (if we wish, it's just a kid playing after all...The magic of photography). Which makes the capture subtly as strong and ominous as knee-jerk shots of junkies, where the impact in not from the photographer, but the straight reality he is shooting. Hence my quote about journalism rather than photographic voice, as far as matters.

Is it me or doesn't anyone find that this type of photography is probably the most ubiquitous in the medium of free lance (or not maybe) photo-journalism, and has lost its impact, save for a few. I wish I had a problem like you do, but it's been done to death, IMO.

Always happy to check all these names given on this forum, I wish we were more to exchange opinions about them.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 AM
TE Expert

Herve, I have slightly different opinion on it, think it's photography first. I think he has quite a bit of discrepancy in the quality of his shots from excellent to just ok, this perhaps where you draw an opinion that it's journalism first.

Since the pictures say thousands words I will try to illustrate my photography-first opinion with his pictures, subway story since it's my favourite.

First one of the nun on the subway station, image not very photojournalistic, imo very suggestive, which is created with high point of view making her look small and overpowered, slow shutter speed makes the crowd move, they are like a tank driving over... well over everything.....her sad face, almost crying like she has given up... I don't think everything is given on the plate, don't see it as an image on the front page of the daily paper, apparently she is collecting donations, do I see it there, I see many different stories.
Next image Americana, shallow dof, crowd, man with a flag deep in his thoughts, his hairstyle, headphones, small statue all add to the story for me, or should I say create multitude of stories which I can create myself in my head, there is plenty of room for interpretation.

Next image, open mouth in the corner, if this was photojournalism wouldn't we see the person making up most of the photo, wouldn't we see her/him in it's full glory? now we have him, view through the glass, shallow dof, someone reading etc etc.

Because of the photographic tools used (don't mean equipment but dof, using relfections, glass, etc etc), and the fact that images are less descriptive and more suggestive, I would say it's photography first.
Peter
Old 09-18-2006, 07:00 AM
TE Expert

you are right, I am guilty of having commented on his photography after seeing the Cuba, dope and I think street photo gallery, only. That's not all, far from it. I will get back to it.

Coincidentally, i go to the bookstore today, and in the used sections, I see something on junkies and ghetto environment. I think wow, here's someone this guy Apeter mentionned must have influenced him. when I see the name of the author, I am sure of it: Eugene Richards. Book is called, cocaine blue cocaine black (I think). did not buy it.

PS: This week, i ordered under a grudging sun (Webb) from amazon. Can't wait to lay my eyes on it!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:02 AM
TE Expert

Default correction

apologies again for the hyatus. i meant Richards must be admired by this guy Boogie (and a few others).
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 AM
TE Expert

Indeed, no problem, the subway is a good series, and the one on the gangs is something else too. er...Did I mention guts on TE somewhere not long ago?..... ;-)

Really vital photography,.. they guy is probably a bit extreme too, but then he would not get that kind of edge without edginess on his part. No?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:08 AM
TE Expert

I am one of Michael Kenna's fan. To me he is very versatile, and his knowledge of printing specially in black and white puts him way above the level of most fine arts photographers. To me he is the only one in the level of Ansel Adams.

Andre'
Old 09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default oke, another one.

http://weblog.michaelvesen.de/index.php?pg=4
Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: oke, another one.

Colin Finlay, this guy is intense, I listened to a lecture of his and it was hardcore... I looked through his new book, "Testify", and it was some serious stuff... photography with a real purpose.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
TE Expert

No problems with this photographer, I had great pleasure to open the different sections on his page, and enjoy his travel/humanitarian photography:

http://www.karlgrobl.com/
Old 10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Default certainly good

Herve,
thanks for the link, the photos were realy interesting, don't need a lot of words for most shots, impressive if someone can tell these stories.