Visitors' counting unservicable - Page 3 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Also, I have an update on the visitor counter: Essentially, fixing it requires a site update. However, such an update would break pretty much every other part of the site. So it's a choice of losing the visitor count or most other functions. And I think you would all agree that it's better to have a site that serves its main purpose of photography and criticism than one that does not.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:33 PM
TE Junior Member

The exif info stopped working a few years ago, now it's the counter, and I believe new countries are not being painted on the world map anymore... What will be the next feature with a bug?
Old 02-07-2020, 06:46 PM
TE Expert

Hi Brenda,
My first thought was that fee would repulse people as well, but very much depends on how it would be organized.
Those people who like uploading any sort of photos go to facebook. Those who want upload a lot of photos probably use flickr.
There are more websites where people share more "artistic" or "travel" photos.
There are many better websites. But TrekEarth offers something unique.

People are here for many different reasons. There are people who are here for social reasons.
Many of my TE friends left. Some of them posted something against TOS which was removed, they got offended and left. BUT their best friends stayed here. They are more loyal to this website than to their friends. They are crazy about this website. They complain but they will stay here as long as they can.
I know people who start their day with checking TrekEarth, and spend a while here EVERY DAY.
Picking a photo for TE is the highlight of their day.
I know one person who reads comments which people write to each other and translates them with Google Translate if they are in a different language! This website is their whole world... Of course they would pay...

Other people left because they focused more on the quality of photos. And this site is not focused on the quality.
Most people here are not young. Young people don't use website like this, I don't even know what is trendy now, but for them facebook is for old people. They have apps.
What I am saying the audience is diverse but well defined. And easy to cater for.

For me, and for many others, this website is a bit like a personal gallery where my photos are organized in particular way, the way I like it.
And there is social aspect.
So what I would be paying for is the opportunity to have a "personal" website with the maps, etc.
This is what I would miss most when TE disappears.
If I could buy a website designed like this for my own use. I would do it. With all the regional maps etc.
I don't want Google maps. I like exactly as it was done here. It is brilliant!
Well if only some things could be improved. The world maps are so tiny now, unreadable. etc

I think there may be more people like myself.

I am not sure what other sites IB owns. I think they may be in trouble. Cell phones transformed the internet.
They have apps which organize their photos in a cool way and show them on the map and it is attached to their camera = phone.
Same happens probably to other websites. They are dying out.

The only way for them is to find a way out.
I don't say that I have all the answers but it is easy to find out: make a survey. People genuinely care about this website and they will come up with ideas.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 PM
TE Expert

I would like to know the real function of this forum session, since there is no goodwill in solving the demands and problems of the site, only vague answers.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 PM

Mkamionka, I think your comment about the site not being focused on the quality of the image is fair. When I joined that certainly was a major element of the site, as were in depth and meaningful critiques. The world of photography has changed massively since those days and there are many more places for people to post images. I got a huge amount of help, encouragement and informative critiques in the first several years of membership, but that has all but disappeared now.
I do wonder how much longer the site will continue and, if I'm honest, also wonder how much it will actually be missed. There is a small group of active members remaining, and the main interest of many of them seems to be purely to give each other points for poor quality images with limited descriptions.
I am a Moderator on the site and am just as frustrated and powerless to get things sorted as everybody else.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:23 AM
TE Expert

Hi Keitht,
I hear different point of views here.
I was more focused on delivering great quality photos originally, and I believe I had some great photos in my galley before.
I still know how to do it, but have no time nowadays...
What has changed for me is the focus which has shifted from making a great quality photo to learning about the world through photography and not other way around.
And so now I rather share experiences, I share more local than remote destinations.
This is what I wrote on my profile page:

PHOTOS QUALITY
At the beginning I put a lot of emphasis on learning what photographic equipment to purchase and how to take a good photo. Now, even though I make an effort to take a good photo, I am rather focused on sharing a place and experience rather than a perfect photography product. I see many people leave TrekEarth since the quality of uploaded photos is not challenging them enough. I can understand them but I donít see us staying here as losers. We just select a different approach.

WRITING CRITIQUES
People have various approaches to writing critiques. I am not going to question anybodyís approach. People are here to have fun. In the end we are all like children, and there is nothing wrong in ticking off smileys as long as we enjoy it. My personal approach is to reply to critiques, which I get. I prefer to write comments to imperfect photos but made by real people and those who appreciate it and are involved as well. Some people say that members here are just complimenting each other but are not honest. I believe it all comes down to the maturity of a person. Of course, I know how to be harsh and fundamental and that would probably quicker lead us all to better quality photos. But is it what we really want? Harsh, efficient and perfect? I think focusing on the positive aspects of the photos and occasionally pointing out the improvement areas creates a more pleasant environment. Whoever is predominantly interested in the photo quality will pick it up from subtle comments. I am learning it in my personal and professional life as well. A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down.