Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great SWEBackpacker 2008-08-29 14:04

This is a very nice photo from one of the best national parks in Swaziland. You have a nice view and beautiful colors of a typical view in Majolotja National park. I have done some hiking in this national park which as you said receives very few tourists. I got the permit the day before to walk in one of the valleys the next day. In the morning I walked over the rim and down in the next valley. After a couple of hours walking I was surprised by wood fire / grass fire I had to run for my life up onto a big rock. After some minutes waiting the fire passed by and I could continue down the valley to find out there the fire had started. I walked back to the ranger to report the fire in the national park. I said you have a very big fire in the next valley think it has started at camping area number five? The ranger said that's correct we did start be fire by purpose but we had forgotten that you had a permit to walk in that area! Almost no one is walking in this national park they happened to have one tourist there and forgot him. They purposely burn down certain areas in the national park each year.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
TE Newbie

Default To SWEBackpacker: Great story

Yes, I too was surprised by all the burning. Coming originally from the Western US I have a fear of fire and nature, but I kind of wonder if Swaziland has always been that way. I did notice that some of the burned areas seemed to be regenerating quickly, like the fire had invigorated them. I suppose it added to your experience as well, for better or for worse.

Thanks for your great story!

Kate