Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great avis2avis 2005-02-01 2:26

This reminded me of a Pink Floyd album cover. I noticed the chimneys here and the way in which the shadow of the first chimney falls on the second and that of the second on the third. Truly fantastic stuff. I would really like to know how exactly you work with gradients to get these stark contrasts in your highlights and shadows.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 AM
TE Expert

Default To avis2avis: gradient tool

Hi, thanks for your critiques. To illustrate how gradient tools work I have decided to use one of you photos and do the workshops.
Please see workshops here for this image:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo90641.htm

I wrote the explanations, if you have any questions please do let me know.

In addition I would say that I do most other adjustments, especially levels before I use gradient tool, and the black and white conversion and photo filter if desired would come after gradient tool was applied.

From my experience I have used only radial or linear gradient (with radial being most often - see tool bar menu for options) and modes used are darken, colour burn, colour dodge, linear burn or overlay. Never used any other once, just wouldn't work for me.

Also when the image is to be black and white, I like to increase the levels strongly before anything else, in this particular image as far as gradient tool is concerned I wanted to darken the sky so I probaly used darken mode starting in the middle at the botom towards the top, and then brightned up poeple by using colour dodge mode with low opacity just draging the mouse over them.

Peter
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To avis2avis: gradient tool

Hi Peter.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to explain in such detail and for the two workshops. I cant wait to try these techniques out on my own now. Really appreciate your help. :)

Regards,
Avishek