To ben4321: the wind was too strong - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ben4321 2009-06-06 5:22

Really atmospheric shot Kristaps, and great timing to catch the lightning strike.
I've always wanted to have a go at this kind of shot, and stormy Arizona looks like the perfect place to do it! A technique I'd like to try is to use a long exposure to catch multiple lightning strikes - imagine how great this shot would have been with strikes all along the horizon. You'd need to use a pretty strong ND filter, and slow film would make things easier too (bloody annoying that minimum ISO 200 setting on the Nikon DSLRs).
Anyway, I digress - this is a great shot. Might have been interesting to try it with a longer lens to make the lightning more dominant in the frame.
I like it as it is though.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
TE Expert

Default To ben4321: the wind was too strong

I agree, Ben, long exposure would have been very productive in this case since the lightnings were striking every 10 seconds or so. However, in my case, using the tripod was out of the question for the wind atop the hill we were standing on was so strong that even cars were shaking and I did not have a weight-bag to weigh the tripod down.

thanks for the elaborate comment
kristaps