To fanni: ex-Soviet - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Disabled_A 2012-07-03 12:37

Hej Gert,

hopefully, I am back to my usual TE activity at least for a while :)

so, you've visited Southern ex-Soviet 'republics' which are now independent states!
I wonder how you felt there and how you managed with speaking to the local people? did they speak English?..

I see you've posted quite a lot of interesting photos while I was inactive, but I'll begin with the latest one which is truly in your style - eye-contact, a photo telling a little story... :)
I'm not sure the lady seller would have objected to your taking photos of her - I guess she was just surprised at who would want to take a photo of something that, to her, was so ordinary and "daily" :)

I hope you are fine!
varma hälsningar,
Elena

Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
TE Expert

Default To fanni: ex-Soviet

Thanks Elena,
I enjoyed my journey to the ex-Soviet republics (I also spent a day in Riga on my way back). Actually nowadays I seem to enjoy myself anywhere. It was reasonably easy to get along with English in Tbilisi and Yerevan, more complicated in smaller cities, but I am used to finding my way through improvised sign language, facial expressions etc. People were generally very nice and I was well treated everywhere. My only complaint was that it was getting rather hot towards the end and I was getting tired (and old).
Kind regards,
Gert