To mesutilgim: Scanner - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mesutilgim 2015-01-02 2:30

Hello dear Will,
Interesting capture from Hollywood, and wonderfull perfect scan !
I see that your Nikon Scanner makes better job than my Reflecta Scanner. My New Years Gift to muself !
TFS and all the best for the New Year
MESUT ILGIM

Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To mesutilgim: Scanner

Hello Mesut

Thank you for the kind critique. You're right that the Nikon film scanner does a very good job (the one I use takes negative strips or transparencies). But I'm not sure it's necessarily better than the Reflecta, which I believe is also a dedicated film scanner as opposed to a flatbed. I spent quite a long time concocting an algorithm that did a good job (involving Digital ICE, etc), and then I work on the digital file with Nik software (Dfine to suppress grain further and Presharpener to tighten edges). And before you spend a lot of money, do bear in mind that the image you see on Trek Earth is a small, compressed jpeg, which isn't a very reliable gauge of quality! I'd be interested to know what you decide, and whether you think the change is worth while.

Kind regards

Will
Old 01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Scanner Matters

Hello dear John,
Within your later entries this one is my favorite. Not only because ot the perfect pov and layout; but also with some quite intersting details that builds up the work ; like the nice cloudy sky and dim but warm light on the fassades; last but not least the old fashioned Street lamp on the correct place of your compo. And of course, interesting notes.
Dear John, also many thanks to my todays entry. I can not read from your profile, bu I allways have the feeling that you might be an academician, as you take things such serious. Not those typical TE jargon which starts with a wooow and ends up than with TFS !
Anyhow I'm glad to have known you here on this interesting platfrom.
Have a nice weekend and all the best from the beautiful city at Bosphorus !
MESUT ILGIM
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM
TE Senior Member

Default scanner

Hello Mesut

I think you've replied to the wrong person! I've met John Cannon, but he isn't me! Not to worry.

Regards

Will