Foto

Photographer's Note

2018 - All rights reserved. The photos taken by photographer John Maenhout are registered and copyrighted. Use in any form (web, paper publication, public exposure, etc.) is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the photographer. To contact with photographer please use TE Contact Me


NEW

JHM New 2019-2020

Archive 2019 June

A nice bike trip: 2019 June, wonderful weather with much sun and art clouds or sheep clouds to the sky.

Damme

Damme received its present form, in the form of a seven-pointed star, when it was developed, between 1609 and 1621 under Albrecht and Izabella, as a fortress and garrison town, intended for the Cantel Molini (the forts of St. Paul, Izabella, St.-) Donaas, St.-Job, St.-Frederik, etc.) to support and supplement. This had become necessary because Maurits van Nassau had conquered the cities of Sluis and Aardenburg from the Spaniards in 1604.
Nothing was spared in the construction of the city of Damme as a fortress city. The plan had to be implemented matematically as determined by the military regulations. A large part of the city was thereby abandoned and so many buildings disappeared, including the beguinage, the Kruiskapel; while the Augustinian monastery was demolished and its grounds were used to erect the military warehouses. The seven points of the star were the same number of bastions, which were interconnected by relatively short courtines, while a continuous front of ravelins with narrow courtines divided the broad city wall into two separate canals.
In 1702 under the Franco-Spanish rule of the Duke of Anjou, a new stronghold was added to the existing fortifications, namely to the northeastern bastions. This novelty was called Hoornwerk and it was intended as additional security against possible Dutch invasion. The Hoornwerk was at or near the end of the Slekstraat on the north side of the White Bridge, along either side of the Zuidervaartje. Nothing has remained of this Hoornwerk: it was completely destroyed. By constructing this Hoornwerk, the remains of the Zwin and the Reie were dammed. The Zoute Vaart remained in connection with the Lieve because use was made of the outer fortress moat.

Camera Model
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
File Size 25,7MB
Shooting Date/Time
17/06/2019 15:39:17
Shooting Mode
Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/60
Av(Aperture Value)
22
ISO Speed
100
Lens
EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Focal Length
24.0mm
Image
Size
5760x3840
Image Quality
RAW
Picture Style
Landscape

pajaran, dale54, Fis2, johnjmoe, PiotrF, pierrefonds, mcmtanyel, papagolf21, ikeharel, COSTANTINO, Royaldevon, ChrisJ ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 478
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by John Maenhout (jhm) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 26560 W: 524 N: 45486] (193769)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH