Foto

Photographer's Note

The Marktbrunnen in Mainz is a renaissance fountain located at the ″Markt″ (market place) of Mainz. It was donated by elector Albert of Mainz and crafted in the workshop of the Mainz sculpturer Hans Backoffen. The Marktbrunnen represents one of the first architectural formed decorated fountains of the renaissance.

Motivation for the donation of the fountain to the community of Mainz had been two events. On one hand, the donator prince-elector and cardinal Albert celebrated the lucky end of the German Peasants' War in his electoral residence. In April 1525 there had occurred unrests and an adoption of 31 articles of the insurgent population. The municipal administration and the cathedral chapter had to agree to these articles in the absence of the elector. Following the military defeat of the Peasants' War, the Mainzer subjugated by 1 July 1525 without further action again their rulers. With the inscription on the representative market fountain Albert honored Emperor Charles V and his victory at the Battle of Pavia on Francis I of France, whose capture is also mentioned.

The fountain that Albert of Mainz donated emphatically to the population of Mainz was first conceived as a draw-well. It became an important source of fresh water in the inner city and in 1767 they altered it to a pumping well. In 1889 the market fountain was first transferred to the northeast side of the square and later supplemented with a Madonna figure at the top end. During World War II, the market well was walled and survived the bombing of Mainz, with no major damage. As part of the redesign of the surroundings of the cathedral and the establishment of a large, interconnected pedestrian zone during 1975, the fountain was relocated to its original place near the cathedral houses.

The structure of this fountain is a three column fountain built of red sandstone. The round fountain vat, comprising two shallow steps is divided by the three pedestals of shallow relief pillars. These carry a triangular shaped circulating frames on which there is also the donor's inscription. Above the entablature is a figurative and ornate openwork crown from light sandstone. The completion of the fountain is a pillar baldachin. This was originally called the "market standard" with the arms of the sovereign, who acted as a protective and court Lord of the market. Today there is a subsequently sat Madonna. This was created in 1890 by the Mainz sculptor Valentin Barth and placed after the first dislocation of Marktbunnens.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3539
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10646 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH