Foto

Photographer's Note

The origins of the square date back to the XV century, when at the junction of the roads (now Street) of Atocha and Toledo, just outside the medieval town, was held on this site, known as "Plaza del Arrabal" , the main market of the villa, built at this time a first home arcades, or market, to regulate trade in the square.

In 1580, after the court moved to Madrid in 1561, Philip II commissioned the project to remodel the plaza to Juan de Herrera, commencing the demolition of the "apple house" of the old place that year. The construction of the first building of the new plaza, the Casa de la Panaderia, beginning in 1590 by Diego Sillero, the site of the old fish market. In 1617, Philip III, ordered the completion of the work of Juan Gómez de Mora, who completed the square in 1619.

----------------------------------------------

Los orígenes de la plaza se remontan al siglo XV, cuando en la confluencia de los caminos (hoy en día calles) de Toledo y Atocha, a las afueras de la villa medieval, se celebraba en este sitio, conocido como «Plaza del Arrabal», el mercado principal de la villa, construyéndose en esta época una primera casa porticada, o lonja, para regular el comercio en la plaza.

En 1580, tras haber trasladado la corte a Madrid en 1561, Felipe II encargó el proyecto de remodelación de la plaza a Juan de Herrera, comenzándose el derribo de las «casas de manzanas» de la antigua plaza ese mismo año. La construcción del primer edificio de la nueva plaza, la Casa de la Panadería, comenzaría en 1590 a cargo de Diego Sillero, en el solar de la antigua lonja. En 1617, Felipe III, encargó la finalización de las obras a Juan Gómez de Mora, quién concluirá la plaza en 1619.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1409
Points: 52
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8005 W: 5 N: 14104] (62896)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH