Foto

Photographer's Note

The importance of the maritime defense of Lisbon was, since the reign of D, João II, an effective concern for the Portuguese Crown. Although he had been built a set of ortalezas in the perimeter between Cascais, Caparica and the bar of the Tejo in Oeiras until the first years of century XVI, this became insufficient, for that in the reign of D. João III it was initiated construction of the fort of Is Julião of the Bar. Despite the dimensions and the structural modernity of this ortaleza, the entrance of the bar continued displayed, for that in 1571 Francisco of Holland, in the workmanship Of the plant that falece to the city of Lisbon suggested the D. Sebastião the construction of a bastion in the areal of the Dry Head, fronteiro They are Julião, that had for objectivo to endow the entered one with the river of the crossing of fogos between the two ortalezas (BOIÇA, j., BARROS, f., 1997, p.276). Projecto finished for being forgotten, and alone in 1579, with the imminence of an attack of the Castilian armed the Lisbon, this hypothesis came back to be considered, constructing then a wooden fort in the together areal to the Trafaria, that did not have relevance some in the defense of the capital in 1580. Filipe II undertook then new projecto of defense and blockhouse of the bar of the Tejo, that in a first phase corresponded the workmanships of magnifying in the ortaleza of Is Julião of the Bar and to the construction of the fort of Ours Lady of the Light, in Cascais. After the conclusion of these enterprises one second constructive phase was initiated, that extended the "net" of ortalezas of the bar of the capital to the Estoril and to the Dry Head (Idem, ibidem). In December 1589 the monarch contracted Italian Frei Vicêncio Casale so that he traced the plant of the fort of the Dry Head. In the end of January of 1590 arquitecto presented Filipe II projecto, that it contemplated the necessary workmanships of engineering to the implantation of the ortaleza in ilhéu it of fronteiro sand Are Julião of the Bar and presented to the king two distinct planimetrias, a covered with star one, another one to circulate. This last one was the chosen one, for presenting greater solidity face to the impact of the sea and greater easiness of mobilization of the artillery. The workmanships of the foundations were still initiated in this year, but the process of construction of the foundations would finish for if becoming too much weak, and the death of Frei Vicêncio Casale in 1593 would come to delay the continuity of the workmanship. In the space of one year responsible ones for the direcção of the workmanships, arquitecto Tibúrcio Espanochi and the engineer had been nominated two Caspar Roiz, and in 1601 she was only finished the rank of the rock of the bases. Although Leonardo Turriano, engineer-mor of the kingdom, had presented one projecto oval for the ortaleza, Caspar Roiz would give beginning to the construction of the fort, according to plant of Casale. However, some modifications in the structure had been introduced, as the widening of the diameter, to improve the operationalization of the fort, and modifications in the central building of the square of weapons, with the objectivo to reduce the expenses and the time of construction, that if dragged has some years. In the reality, the ortaleza alone would come to be finished during the reign of D. João IV, under the direcção of Frei Turriano João, who redesigned the plant of the fort, aiming at a greater to be able defensive, as well as an increase of the operationalization. The Fort of the Bugio is presented as one of the most interesting projectos of military architecture maneirista Portuguese, inspired by its original phase in the Castel Sant'Angelo of Rome (MOREIRA, R., 1986). The base of the ortaleza, of circular planimetry, seats on all ilhéu it, protected for a wall low, with alambor. To the center of the square the tower was erected, also to circulate, divided in two registers, with 21 interior dependences and few windows torn in its perimeter, and integrating a dedicated chapel to the padroeiro They are Lourenço, with retábulo-mor in embrechados of marble and wooden lined interior space. Catherine Oliveira .

Isolated in the way it Estuary it River Tejo, without any reference that the observer allows to evaluate, for comparison, its dimensions, the fort seems imensurável. Its circular base has 62 meters of diameter for 6 of height and the fort, also to circulate, has 33 for 7.

Distance that I photographed the lighthouse 1,49 miles,
2,40 km


http://www.ippar.pt/pls/dippar/pat_pesq_detalhe?code_pass=72323

paura, AiresSantos, Amaz ha contrassegnato questa nota come utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2405
Points: 16
Discussions
Additional Photos by Goncalo Lopes (Bluejeans) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9250 W: 115 N: 13285] (64251)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH