The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   So, where are you going? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756105)

Dpbours 06-11-2009 03:56 AM

So, where are you going?

Quite some members leaving, and I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced of staying either. But I would like to know where everyone is going if they leave TrekEarth.

I'm already on Flickr, but that is a bit massive at times. Any alternatives?

Greetings, Dennis

stego 06-11-2009 04:30 AM

Re: So, where are you going?

LOCR.COM?

Get in touch with the "Polish trekearth" so we can have a version of their site in English and perhaps other languages?

PS: I am too shocked with the late action of the mods/administration. So instead of COMMUNICATION they "give" us CENSORSHIP? I don't want to think about what I will do and what to write right now!

thea0211 06-11-2009 04:32 AM

i like flickr, it's fun. lots of options, lots of photogs (lot of brilliant photogs aswell ;o), experimental, colorful, yes vast but anything but boring ;o). all sort of stats, groups, other options, still discovering new ones (a lot more in the pro version of course, but that's ok, even better)
and i for one, needed that change.
anyways, in one of the locked threads (i think, but am a bit lazy to surf through all the others now, there was a mentioning of this <a href="http://www.locr.com" target=_black>travel photo book</a>, as a decent subsitute to TE (not entirely free either). check it out, if you have time.

bibiweb 06-11-2009 04:33 AM

I am currently on Flickr.com and Locr.com. I've also opened an account on fotopedia.com which just opened to the public yesterday, but that site has quite a different philisophy than just a photo sharing site.

thea0211 06-11-2009 04:34 AM

jose, we wrote in the same time ;o)
i think you mentioned locr in the first place.

thea0211 06-11-2009 04:40 AM

problem is, they take sooo much time if you're doing them right. one can get (am just talking about myself here ;o))) truly involved even with only one. that's why i thought i'll give flickr a chance. i can post things that are not only "learn about the world" so to speak, but also my other 'tries'. and build (more or less) like i have here.
(how sad it may sound but) it's all about self marketing in the end, isn't it?

zmey 06-11-2009 04:58 AM

That lockr thing looks alright, from just taking a peak.

I like this part of their TOU:

"locr claims no rights of any kind to the texts, files, images, photos, videos, sounds, musical works, copyright works or other material provided and published by users (together referred to as 'content'). After you provide or publish such content using locr's services, all rights to this content remain with you and you can continue to do with this content as you will. By providing or publishing content via locr's services you are granting locr a limited license to use this content on or via locr's services, to modify it, to present and/or display it to the public at large, to reproduce and to disseminate it."

I think, it cannot be more specific than that... I wish TE had something like this a few days ago; might have saves us some members.

bibiweb 06-11-2009 07:08 AM

Just for info, many TE members have a Facebook account. I know this has nothing to do with photography, but it's great just to keep in touch! :o)

alvaraalto 06-11-2009 08:13 AM

Hi Dennis,
Maybe Woophy.com is an interesting alternative. I do have an account there, but I am, up till now, not very active there. It takes time to build up a network of photographing friends, but if they are all leaving TE, we must try to find an alternative.
Groet Rob

ophelcia 06-11-2009 08:40 AM

Woophy.com:)
"All pictures remain yours, meaning your own the copyright over these pictures. Each photographer who uploads pictures on Woophy.com remains responsible for anything that might happen because of his or her picture(s).
Until you remove your pictures from the woophy.com site you give woophy.com permission to use and display your pictures.
Visitors of woophy.com can download a low resolution image of all photos you upload. They are allowed to use this for non-commercial, personal purposes only."
:))))

trekks 06-11-2009 09:01 AM

dear People

Of the several photo sites given and checked out as listed below
1. woophy.com
2. perfectlycaptured.com
3. locr.com
4. photo.net

I seem to read No.1's woophy TOU to be very reasonable, and the website is just what may work best for TE-users. For No.2 PC, I have yet to see its advantage although quite a few familiar names are already there. I am not checking out No.3 LOCR yet.

But from a glance, it looks like woophy may just be a good one to try out.

Regards, bill

ophelcia 06-11-2009 09:03 AM

Woophy's problems:)
http://www.woophy.com/forum/2_4210_0.html

But there COMMUNICATION with the MODERATOR!!!!

PixelTerror 06-11-2009 09:04 AM

For all (ex-)TE nice people willing to keep in touch with the community members, get a facebook account and join the group "Trekearth"

fanni 06-11-2009 09:10 AM

Most probably I will join...
I'm going away on business for a few days, so I will do so after I return... if you do not mind (I've never used Facebook, though) :)

I am SHOCKED by so many members deleting their gapperies!! most of all I am shocked by the SPEED of this mass exodus!

Aline_N 06-11-2009 11:10 AM

Woophy is an extremely friendly site, with active forums, blogs, contests etc ...
The site is easy to use, and the map is well done, even we could expect something more precise in the future.
The owner/moderator is very present, always friendly and opened to our suggestions.

Some black points, specially : An impressive number of irrelevant comments and rates, and no limitations of pictures, so we can say there is also an impressive number of irrelevant photographies. But rules will be changed soon.

New members would be welcomed on Woophy !

I also like a lot photo.net, which is really professional and with high-quality pictures.

avene 06-11-2009 11:27 AM

about FLICKR - hope everyone has noticed the requirement that if you post a photo that you have on Flickr on "external website", it has to refer back to your post in Flickr.

SteveH 06-11-2009 11:34 AM

Hi, I just skimmed the Flicker TOU and couldn't find that requirement - what clause number is it? cheers, Steve

avene 06-11-2009 11:48 AM

this requirement appears on several instances:
1. "Flickr Community Guidlines" state that The Flickr service makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to outside web sites. However, pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr.
2. when you open your own photo in large size, at the bottom of the page it says Remember! Flickr Community Guidelines specify that if you post a Flickr photo on an external website, the photo must link back to its photo page.

SteveH 06-11-2009 11:57 AM

Mmm interesting, I wonder how binding the guidelines are, especially given that the TOU have the usual entire agreement clause? cheers, Steve

bibiweb 06-11-2009 12:07 PM

Yes, interesting point Kristine... but what is also interesting on Flickr is that you can decide who can access what in your gallery. For example I have set it up in a way that my gallery is "public access", but that will only show the standard 500px images. Access to my "large" size photos is restricted to those that I've defined as my Flickr contacts. And in any case I don't upload any photos larger than 800px (same size as TE).

avene 06-11-2009 12:16 PM

yes, Bibi, I've noticed the option of managing access. but I've also noticed that many members have not restricted the "download the large size" option.

BennyV 06-11-2009 12:24 PM

Hi all,

Going through the alternatives, I must admit there's not much that really captures my imagination. Many sites - e.g. Flickr - are just too massive. It's OK for storing/dumping your shots, but when it comes to discussing pictures, I believe that less is more. And what I really appreciate here is the small community and the fact that we are allowed to post only one picture per day.

As much as I still feel ill at ease with the commercial new look ("learning about the world through advertizing") and as much as I regret all those excellent photographers leaving, I don't see any real alternatives really.

But if you do find that small-scale, intelligent, user-friendly alternative that showcases travel photography within a friendly, (inter)active and caring community, ...let me know. Meanwhile I'll just stick around, though with less enthusiasm.

Where am I going? To the bar probably...

Benny

bibiweb 06-11-2009 12:34 PM

But at least there are options to protect your photos... if people don't use them, it's their problem! ;o)

AROBN54 06-11-2009 01:04 PM

I am impressed with Perfectly Captured. The size limit to the photo is 1600 pixels on the long side and no limit to the kb. You can post 5 photos a day (which I don't), there is a live chat option, it was started by a Treklens member unhappy with the uproar on the forums there, the BG is black so the pictures stand out beautifully. There's just a lot of nice features. No right click option. You can look anyway.
See what you think.

<a href="http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/index.php">Perfectly Captured</a>

Shelly

gildasjan 06-11-2009 05:31 PM

J'ai essayé Locr,je me suis inscrit,j'ai publié une photo,je n'ai rien compris,j'ai supprimé le compte trouvant la machine trop lourde pour mon petit cerveau,je suis allé regarder du côté de flickr,là c'est 200 photos,ensuite il faut payer.Ce site est un véritable labyrinthe,donc il ne m'intéresse pas et je n'ai pas envie de débourser un centime pour publier mes images.il reste http://www.perfectlycaptured.com/index.php que je n'ai pas encore essayé.
Voilà mes amis.
Je suis vraiment désolé pour les amis anglophones mais je ne maitrise pas la langue.
Salut à tous
Amicalement
gildas

greg64g 06-11-2009 07:02 PM

Hello chers tous

here is an alternative

http://www.photosig.com/

Greg

PixelTerror 06-11-2009 07:37 PM

after LOCR I began testing woophy, a dutch site, I'm not alone as I already met another historical TE member there, my first impression is good, the site is welcoming newcomers, it works also according to geography but there is a fix list of cities so if you are posting from a remote place you need to choose the closest town that can be quite far away, seems they still did not manage to hire our famous porteplume !

stego 06-11-2009 09:51 PM

I am sure I am not the only one quite uncomfortable with the possibility of loosing contact with some of the people who left ore are about to do it.

Bibi already mentioned the Facebook group Trekearth. That sounds a very good way of keeping in touch. Maybe this can be useful also: <a href='http://delicious.com/stegop/te_members' target=_blank>http://delicious.com/stegop/te_members</a> ; it's a link to my bookmarks in Delicious related with (ex) TE members.

As for now, it seems that I am the only one in Delicious using the tag "te_members", so if those of you who are members of Delicious add the pages of TE members to your account and tag them with "te_members", maybe we'll have a good list of pages of (ex) TE members at <a href='http://delicious.com/tag/te_members' target=_blank>http://delicious.com/tag/te_members</a>.

Regards,
José

zmey 06-12-2009 02:37 AM

Yup. I feel it too. It's in the air. Time to pack it up and leave this place...

Whoever cares, I can be found on flickr or facebook. I do not plan to be deleting my old TE page (with contact information) either.

bibiweb 06-12-2009 03:37 AM

I like your suggestion José and I've updated my Delicious bookmarks and added the "te_members" tag to all the relevant links that I have. Hope that others will do the same too...

Bibi

greg 06-12-2009 10:17 AM

The <a href="http://sites.google.com/site/thelittlegreenpill/">little green pill</a> cures the troubles of TE, permanently.

trekks 06-12-2009 10:31 AM

hi Greg

Very interesting. Makes me think of this

Beatles- Yesterday lyrics
Yesterday,
All my troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they're here to stay,
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
I'm not half the man I used to be,
There's a shadow hanging over me,
Oh, yesterday came suddenly.

Why she
Had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.
I said,
Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,
Love was such an easy game to play,
Now I need a place to hide away,

Why she
Had to go I don't know, she wouldn't say.
I said,
Something wrong, now I long for yesterday.

Yesterday,
Love was such an easy game to play,
Now I need a place to hide away,

Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm.

Aviller 06-12-2009 02:53 PM

I'm staying right here. I don't really feel like deleting all the pics that I've posted here over the past 5 years and start off somewhere else...flickr in particular just seems too "impersonal" with hundreds of pics being uploaded every second (or at least it seems this way).

I'm sure the TOU issue can be resolved at some point. Now to be honest I think some people are overreacting with the whole deleting their pics and moving on approach. Seems a bit "drama queenesque" to some extent.

avene 06-12-2009 07:50 PM

let's clear one thing - I understand that people are leaving because they are not happy with the way IB handled complains about the new desing, about the "error" in the version of Terms of Use, and general attitude of the owners towards the greatest value of this site - us, who post photos and write comments and forum threads. as I said, I understand the feelings of those who have left, they are 200% justified. and if I would leave, these would be my reasons as well. as others have said, "Communication 101" is a must for IB staff.

but I don't see how, strictly speaking, the current wording of TOU about the copyrights (given the explanations from IB) would be the reason to leave. after all, that's exactly the same wording I read when I joined TE two+ years ago, and everyone what happy and posting. I fully agree that IB has lost a lot of our trust after they tried to change the TOU and insert "resale right", first intentionally and then, just few days ago, "by mistake". but right now TOU are exactly what they were.

Merline 06-12-2009 07:57 PM

Hi Kristine,
the first paragraph in your text is what motivated me to leave, at least for the present time. :) but you know that...

To Philipp: personally, I would prefer to be a drama queen than a bore :).

Michèle

fkostas 06-12-2009 09:23 PM

Re: drama queen

No Michele,

You are not the DQ. Drama queens ARE boring, and I do agree with Phillip on that. Some people are genuinely conflicted about leaving, and others are running thru the forums like Chicken Little with the sky falling, threatening to push some mythical button. I guess they think the administration cares . More new people are posting every day.

I still dislike this blecherous pink background.

Farah

avene 06-12-2009 09:30 PM

can I PLEASE have a golden star so I can award Farah for never failing to provide the most eloquent description for anything? :) and can I have another golden star to award her for "DQ", which could also mean "Dairy Queen"? that place sure is boring, lol :))

cherryripe 06-12-2009 09:37 PM

Hi Farah
I like the Chicken Little reference as it sums this up so perfectly. Of course I'm sad some of my favourite members have left but it's not the first time and thank goodness there's Facebook to keep contact with many of them.
Posting photos anywhere puts one at risk of someone downloading them whether there's a copyright on the website or not and as my photos have never interested anyone in that respect, I'm happy keeping mine on the website that suits me for the moment as I still have many friends here who post photos I enjoy. Although it would be more pleasant to look at without the "bleacherous pink background" ;-)

Merline 06-12-2009 09:42 PM

Farah, there goes my fairy tale ...LOL :)
Can I be the bad witch at least ? at my age I've owned it...

Sure, Kristine, could not agree more with you, Farah can make me laugh so much, she deserves golden stars, a golden crown !

Oh, and sorry, we're supposed to discuss photography only. May the wrath of "Moderation" not reach us. :)

avene 06-12-2009 09:44 PM

Michèle - you should know that witches come in three, so you can be one if I can be another :P