View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Just an observation & PLEASE- NO POINTS...

Lets face it Dan. TE isn't all about learning and pushing your photographic ability. Is that right? or wrong? Well, to a point it's both.

I have found that TE is more of a fun, tight knit community where certain members are in their little circles always critiqueing each other, for the most part. Myself included. I rarely give anything than a green smiley. Not because I want reciprocation, or because the photo deserves it, but alot of times because of the work involced in some of them. Either the note, the title, the PP, the framing, or a combination of them all. I don't know. It just seems like more a look at my photos and I'll look at yours and we'll all be happy kind of thing. There really is nothing wrong with that.

...but it's just not TE. It's everywhere on the net. Photo.net, photosig...it's not a TE thing. I have one photo on photo.net with somewhere around 30,000 views and two comments!!!

There are also the guys who are dead honest critiqer's and you get to know who they are and start to gravitate towards them for any help. That is where the site comes in handy. I think you have to be a little critical in who you listen to really...and be smart about it. Look at some of my photos...some really bad ones have 40, 50 or even 60 points. Why? Because I critique alot, but I try to be as honest as possible, almost always giving a green smiley though. It's ashame about the point system but you can't use that as a meter on how good a photo is (most of the time). Looking at my "simply great" themes...some of what I think are the greatest photos on the site have less than 10 points.

I also think this site is alot about travel also, and less about photography, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. To me, it's still the best photo site by far I have ever joined. By far.

Do you think I'm off here?
Let me know.
John