Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2011-03-16 2:58

Hello Patrick,

I am not normally a fan of HDR images but that is probably because I find that most of the HDR pictures I see have been "overcooked" and look unreal. I think there must be a strong temptation when doing HDR work to push things to the limit.

But this one is, to my mind, absolutely wonderful. You have used your skills in HDR work to bring out the very best features of this magnificent building. The HDR work has achieved exactly what it is meant to do - to retain detail in the darkest shadows and also in the brightest parts whilst still ending up with a totally believable photograph.

I should be interested to hear which HDR programme you used for this one!

One thing I have noticed with other HDR pictures is that they lack some sharpness. Sharpness here is very good but I just wondered if this picture might still benefit from just a little more sharpening. It might be churlish of me, but I'm uploading a workshop with the image sharpened just a little in Unsharp Mask. Like many others, I hate over-sharpened pictures, so I hope I've not gone over the top with this - see what you think anyway, Patrick - I shall not be upset if you think I've overdone it. I just thought we might be able to bring out just a little more detail in this fabulous photograph.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default To tyro: re workshop

Hello John,

Thanks for your comments on the shot! I used photomatix for the hdr processing. I have the same opinion that hdr shot can looked overcooked and was very aware of this fact when processing this shot. I have been guilty of it myself!

The sharpening that you have added in the workshop works for me, it brings out even more detail and overall improves the image. It is hard to know sometimes when enough sharpening has ben applied, especially when you have been working on an image for a few hours!

Thanks,

Patrick