Dissapointed with Critiques Lately - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-05-2003, 04:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default Dissapointed with Critiques Lately

Lately it seems like we've gotten many new members, but not many new critiquers... so the old crit writers are overwhelmed.

Many shots have increased in views but decreased significantly in number of crits as a ratio to number of views.

I'd like to recommend, encourage, hold, beg, plead, extort--- everyone to write crits.

They are a great way to improve your own photography, because you can see the sorts of mistakes you might make, adn see the sorts of good things you might do... but if all you do is look at the shots with a non-critical eye you do not get the same benefit.

Just my twenty won.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Dissapointed with Critiques Lately

Hello,

I have just joined this website. And, only just posted a few photographs to be viewed and critiqued.

I certainly welcome all input on my work. Good or bad. I won't be offended and defintely could use the help of others.

I will be offering my (limited) opinion as well. I am only an amateur, but hope I can be off some use.

Thanks,

Brian K. Leadingham
San Francisco, CA
Old 05-06-2003, 11:52 PM
TE Newbie

Brian,

I'm an amateur too and what you will find by critiqing others is your photos will improve over time.

It forces you to look at a photo and say I like this or do not like that or it would be better this way.

Old 05-12-2003, 11:15 PM
TE Junior Member

It's clear to me that there is a lot to learn from other's pictures, if seen with a critical eye, I mean "how would I have shot this one?"
And if we can improve it, it leads to a workshop post. That's the main interest of the whole idea... improve our own expertise, by helping others to improve their own one. So, analyse, critize, comment, post... and have fun.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:07 AM
TE Newbie

I would love to critique as I'm very impressed with this webs site & it's concepts. With one exception as a newbie to Trek Earth I'm finding the site lacks a bit on explantion for how to navigate. Especially the critique concept & points system.

Other then that I feel a bit shy along with blown away by all the wonderful images.

It seems like a dream come true to see the world thru so many people. I especially like the attitude or lack of attitude. After a long day of oyster farming I now come home to see Trek Earth instead of the news.

Cheers, I'll try some critiqing soon!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:11 AM
TE Expert

"I'm finding the site lacks a bit on explantion for how to navigate."

Yes, this is true, there is no explanation on how to navigate. I think the hardest part is finding out how to create a Travelogue (My Account -> Manage -> My Travelogues -> Create Travelogue). Another awkward part is viewing workshop thumbnail photos (Click on 'Thumbnail View' link towards top of individual workshop photo).

"Especially the critique concept & points system."

The FAQ describes this a bit.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:52 AM
TE Newbie

I agree fully! I'm a relatively new member and I try to give critique to every photo I find the words for, but seldom I see other people (especially the new members) writing more than 1-10 critiques in total.

Either they are too lazy or they are not interested in photography in general I believe.

Very sad...
Old 05-22-2003, 09:38 AM
TE Newbie

This is a good oportunity for me to say that in the almost 2 month that I've been member with Trekearth I feel major improvement in both my work and the way I look at images, I join Cedar's call to invite all of you to examine images carefully and write critiques!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:05 AM
TE Newbie

I appreciate and agree with Cedar's comment, but there might be something besides newbie laziness at work here. As a new user I feel a bit intimidated giving my criticisms to a clearly superior photographer.
I've been doing my best at commenting but I can't avoid the weird feeling: "what the heck do I know..?"