Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-13-2006, 06:33 PM
TE Newbie

Default Thailand camera tips

I am going to Thailand in June for about 3 weeks and I will be taking my cannon 350d with me, it will be the first time in the country and I am pretty new to digital photography about a year now and I have never been out of England with my camera. I would appreciate any advice for my trip i.e. charging the batteries, what effect the climate will have on the camera, safety of me and the camera. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Thailand camera tips

charging the batteries
charge your batteries at night when you're back at your hotel. expect a full charge every three days, depending on your photo frenzy.

what effect the climate will have on the camera
If you don't leave it soaking in the swimmingpool, if you don't overly spill your beer on it, it will be fine. Perheps the first minutes out of your room, it will be fogging because of the temp difference between the aircon and outside. Just wipe the fog off the lens.

safety of me and the camera.
Hmmh, on this part what can I say? Don't let the children rub your camera into the sand or dip it into the sea, ask a good price for what you buy, don't eat too much som tam... Thailand is a fairly safe country, far safer anywhere than in many western towns (Except in thai places where westerners are drunk and lousy)

Don't worry, everything is ok, just concentrate on your photo and smile.

Luko
Old 04-13-2006, 08:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Carry your gear in a bag that hangs from your shoulder across your body. A backpack can be slashed or dipped. A bag hanging from one shoulder can be snatched. A shoulder bag can be moved to in front of you in a crowd and secured with one hand.

Neither slashing or dipping is a real problem in Thailand. Just good common sense for traveling anywhere.

The most likely way in which one might loose their camera is by setting their bag down somewhere that it can be snatched or leaving it on the bus/train.

I've traveled with someone who left their camera on the bus seat. Twice.

I've also traveled with more than one person who left their bag hanging on the back of their chair in a restaurant. Fortunately there were no losses in those cases.

My bag doesn't leave my body outside the room.

---

Air con - really turned up high? Leave your camera in the bag for a few minutes and let it warm up gradually. Exposure to warm, humid air can cause condensation inside the camera as well as on the front of the lens.

---

Charging is not a problem in Thailand or most of Asia. Carry at least one spare battery. Two is better.

If you're the forgetful type tie some bright orange plastic tape to your charge so that you'll see it when you check out. (Or come up with some other plan.)

Take a lightweight extension cord. Outlets can be in strange places. A couple of places in which I've stayed had outlets only in the bathroom.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:42 PM
TE Expert

Carry your gear in a bag that hangs from your shoulder across your body
It makes me think about one of the best buys I made in Burma. i susually carry my camera in a backpack that I fill with the inside of a padded photobag, the problem is that with this kind of bag warms your back tht gets real sweaty. I then bought a piece of hardwork fabrics in a market and got a light shoulder bag tailored to measures, on the monk shoulder bag model, just a little bigger. All this for about 3USD, as for the remaining fabrics, I had the equivalent of a blanket to give back to someone.

So if you have time in thailand, go to a market and ask them to tailor make you a "monk bag" to your camera bag measures, it's very convenient and somehow "local flavored", I could see lots of people talking about my bag, they recognized this bag as a nod to their culture.

Carry at least one spare battery. Two is better.
It's a SLR, Bob, two batteries (including the main one) gives you about a week time freedom. Not much like the compact cameras, where you have to change batteries almost twice every day.

Luko
Old 04-14-2006, 02:30 AM
TE Senior Member

Actually I could go several days without changing batteries in my compact (~125 shots per day). But things do break and batteries are inexpensive in the west, very expensive in the SEA.

(Try $12 vs. $85 for a Minolta A1 battery a couple of years ago.)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
TE Expert

No problem for personal safety. and Luko is right on, now is the season of hot and humid weather, lenses will fog up as soon as you are out, though I only experienced this in BKK, that cauldron of a city!

Make sure you do the same as you would at home, verify your hotel door and any opening is locked. There is a tiny chance someone ill-intentionned on a night train will offer you a drink, refuse politely, it may be spiked.

Every year, as in any tourist destinations, someone ends up being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So, be relax but aware of your surroundings. Without thinking too much about it, you will make the right moves that avoid going further in the wrong directions (like the story of this photographer in Chiang Mai who was befriended by a gang of idle teens in a small and empty street, they ran with his gear).

It's not about Thailand, it's about travelling alone. keeping your head on your shoulders, it will become second nature to stay clear of compromising situations.

Wish I could go with you (and i just got back 2 weeks ago!)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 PM
TE Expert

i think i could burst 125 photos per hour in tailand ehehehe :))))
Old 04-14-2006, 11:30 PM
TE Expert

i think i could burst 125 photos per hour in tailand ehehehe :))))
------------------------------------

Avoid India at all costs! :-))))
Old 04-20-2006, 08:30 AM
TE Expert

David, Luko and Bob are exactly right about the kind of bag/sling you want. It so happens TAMRAC make an excellent version of this - it's called the VELOCITY series (I recomment Velocity 6, 7, 8 or 9 dependinhg on your equipment needs). I have a 6 and it will hold an Eos 20D and 3 lenses plus ods and ends no problem. You can carry it several ways, including slung across the front. Brilliant design: Here's a link:
http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm (look for Velocity)
Cheers,
Francis
Old 04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
TE Newbie

Well I haven't been to Thailand, but u can chk up www.MangoSauce.com and u will know about almost anything there is to know about Thailand, including security situations..... Waiting to see ur pics ...