Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
TE Expert

Default Do you know how flawed your pictures are?

I was just wondering if people are able to question themselves about the pictures they take, however they have been doing photography for years or just months. I do not mean sheer modesty and general comments like "i am not that good really..". but being able to point at a series of pictures, at a series of latest shooting outings and see where they are either failing, or coming up short, not getting it right, on any count, technical, seizing the moment, the right angle, etc...

In short, can you study your shots, and evaluate your photographic outlook, or just plain satisfied to choose a subject and shoot away, get some, miss some, what the heck! plus a bit of PS correction?

Just for myself, I think it's too easy to get in a comfortable groove, shooting subjects, claim its' the way you like it, I also find that a shot is never missed as you take it, but always before, 5 secondes, or 15 years even. The best photography is unlearnt, but is definitely preceded by learning about /knowing yourself, which is the first way to learn about the world as well. I think it takes courage to look at the world as it really is, and get thru the surface of it all. That's my failing, still not enough courage.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Do you know how flawed your pictures are?

I think so much of what I shoot is not up to the mark that it comes as a pleasant surprise when I find a shot that I really am pleased with.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 AM
TE Expert

No matter how good youy are and how good you are perceived to be by others, once you are satisfied with your shots, thats the death of you.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 AM
TE Expert

OK, Rafal, but that's the type of comment i was trying to avoid. Can you analyze/pinpoint what went wrong or what is still not there? Again, not only technically.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 AM
TE Expert

sure, i keep maybe 10% of the photos I take, and post even less on here or other places. And I dont take many shots to begin with. You bring up technical issues, to me they are irrelevent. Ill take a compelling, technically flawed image over a technically perfect boring one any day. Its a blind alley this pursuit of technical perfection.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 AM
TE Junior Member

I also keep about 10% of the photos I take, and post less than 1% of the shots I keep. I have posted about 17 I think, and I have taken around 5000 of many different things. When I go expecting to shoot something in particular, I am often disappointed, but when I just drive around town, and find something interesting, the result is often less disappointing.
To me, the best shots are the ones you did not expect to take. That way, you have smaller expectations, and will not see as many flaws. But if you shoot something that you have been thinking about for a while, then the expectations are so high that it is hard to meet them, and every detail that you did not expect to see becomes a serious flaw.
But I am disappointed with all my shots, so I guess I am not a good example...

Good night
Louis
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM
TE Senior Member

I think this is a good question, the way I read it is that Herve is not speaking of only technical perfection whatsoever, he is thinking about all the elements which combine in making a shot, or a series of shots. The technicals are just one small part of the whole thing.

For me, I do know (or think I do) what my major flaw is. Fixing it is quite a different thing altogether. I feel my major, and repeating flaw has more to do with putting together a series, as opposed to any particular photo. I feel that I can get a good image in a number of cases, but when I try to string together a series, I have difficulty in making that series cohesive yet different. Too many times for me, I feel dissappointed in that my shots might be taken in different locations, having different subjects, etc, but there is a sameness to them which I would like to get past. I think a complete photographer/series will show not just images which look good, but that are different enough to tell a complete story. This means different angles, different compositions, different forms of subjects, etc, etc. We all want a style which is unique to us, but that style has to be flexible enough that the shots are always changing. I know mine are not; I try to get different stuff, but at the end of the day I am dissappointed more often than not. Just too much sameness.

It is an incredibly fine line to walk between having your own, identifiable style and taking photos which are only variations of shots you have already taken. I know I fail at this and right now (for the past six months at least) I find myself very frustrated by this very fact. Now, I would have to say that within the TE community, I am by no means the only one with this flaw. There are a lot of very good photographers here whose newest posts give me too much of a sense of deja vu. Technically, I think even the best photographers in the world often have these issues, so maybe I shouldn't be so frustrated in my own shortcomings. I do know that the best (photojournalists especially) are better at overcoming this weakness. Then again, that is a big part of why they are the best.

So, there you have it: In too many words, my biggest flaw is too much same, same, not enough different.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
TE Junior Member

I think it's a rare talent to see one's own flaws well. That would seem to be the purpose of a site like this... I find I'm beginning to get frustrated with my own shortsightedness though, and the shots posted on TE that are most questionable don't tend to get comments.

Like others, I only post one out of every thirty or so images I shoot. I stopprd posting recently because I felt like I plateaued, haven't been able to do anything different, too samey. My question is, what does one do when faced with that problem?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 PM
TE Junior Member

There's a thing I already suspect but would like to ask about, to be sure. Mainly because it's, for the time being, my essential flaw. I mean it's a personality flaw. So I inquire of anyone: what if I post a photo that is (not too) bad technically but shows either a high degree of significance when explained in the note, or is worth seeing when you know the context thanks to the note? I'm always trying to keep the Tos in mind when I consider sending a picture I like: is this one useful to learn both about how great is the world, and how to represent it (the world's greatness) at best?
But wait till I tell you why I underlined the note's stuff, so relevant to me and to my own flaw. I tend to rely way too much on the note to mend a picture. My photos are mostly poor photos. But what I like, the reason why I'm here on TE, is that I'd be glad to see my gallery grow better, a body of work that works, thanks to the members who take interest in it, and comment it.
So would any of you welcome a picture which wouldn't be enough in itself to deserve praise, but might help to explain an aspect of things, whatever the depth of the insight, relying on the note? I'm wondering how far sympathy is concerned when the point is appreciating a photo. It makes me anxious to think some viewers may be turned off by a note that would look like self-delusion about the interest of its illustration. The problem is here: it cannot be a mere illustration.
But to what extent a note can spoil a photo, this I'd be relieved to know.
Hope I didn't fumble too much :D F'
Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 PM
TE Newbie

I agree with Francios. I take photographs because I love it. Finding TE gave me the opportunity to display some of those. I only post those I like, obviously, and which have some significance for me, but never imagine they're particularly good technically. But to raise a comment,or a suggestion, especially from those who have a great deal more experience and expertise than me is gratifying, and I will strive to improve. I hope comments are honest - I certainly don't want sympathy. MW