Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great feather 2006-09-03 4:43

Beautiful relaxing image. I love the inclusion of the foreground tableau with enough detail to see what it is thanks to your PP. To do this do you need to select & delete the "wrong" part of one image and paste it over the "right" one or is there a more satisfactory way of doing it?
Kath

Old 09-02-2006, 06:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To feather: Hi Kath

Thanks for your visit and words.

It is more or less like that. What I do is covert the photo with different exposure values (for this RAW is preferable since it can recover shadows or 'tame' highlights better than JPG) and the copy the resulting images one over the other. From here on you have two possible paths:

Simply delete the parts of the images that you do not want (I use the erasor tool), and then recover what is on the image below; )which is the case of this photo)

Or use the 'transparency' slider on the Layers' properties menu.

The technique comes from film days (you can set the camera -all DSLRs do this- to bracket a shot with different EVs) and is mostly used with landscapes with high contrast light situations. In the case of digital cameras, what I find best is exposing the photo based on mettering from mid-tones to highlights (such as clouds) and the recover the shadows.

Anyway, if you bracket 'in-camera' you need a tripod and a very still scene (and of course, you will be wasting space on your memory card).

Hope this helped!

Kind regards and hope you are having a nice weekend (here it is raining cats and dogs now!).

Carlos
Old 09-02-2006, 06:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To feather: Hi Kath

Thanks Carlos that helps. I have a couple I took yesterday where this would work. I'll give it a try.
It's raining cats and dogs here too. In fact so much it's found a weak spot in the roof :(
You must have spent quite a lot of time in the UK to know some of out colloquialisms?
Kath
Old 09-03-2006, 10:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To feather: Hi Kath

Thanks again for your excellent detail, you are a very good teacher, I've learned a lot from you. I've copied your note to my tips file. Let's see if I can remember how to send it to TE's tips file
Regards, Pat
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
TE Expert

Default Layers to tips forum

Nevermind, I can't figure out how to post it. It looks like it will arrive there anyway based on what I found when i typed in layers at the tips forum.
Regards, Pat
Old 09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Hi again Kath

Sorry to know about your roof! I have been to the UJ some five times as a tourist, and always wanting a new visit.

I just saw Pat's post and read through the critiques and comments, I will try the soften brush (thanks for that tip) and you are right, I work with the image at 100%.

If you have some time, you may find interesting the following page:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/determining-exposure.shtml

Kind regards, have a nice week,
Carlos
Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Layers to tips forum

Thanks a lot Pat for your very kind works, I just saw the photo where you applied this and the results are great!

Regards,
Carlos
Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Hi again Kath

Thanks for the link; I've had a quick browse and it looks useful. I've saved it in my favs for future reference.
Kath