Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-07-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Possible TE Exhibition - Italy

Personally I don't care about royalties, I allways been poor so it wouldn't be this oportunity that would make me rich! ;-)

And I'm really happy just with the fact that this is happening!

But, I agree that we must be carefull to the conditions in which we grant authorization. Personally I'm willing to give permission on the bases of a free exhibition. If it's intended to be used in any other way at least I want to be informed.

As I said before, what I really would like was a document acknolowging my participation for pourpuses of portfolio. I would be quite happy just with that.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Jack,

I think you have misunderstood my post. The royalties that I was allusion too was in response to the hypothesis that the photos would be used for commercial reason outside the scope of the exhibition. The document is just a way to prevent misunderstanding between us and the museum for the proper usage. Law is sometimes a neccessary evil.

BTW, I think your idea of going to the exhibition in group is a great one. Although, I am too far to make it :).

Regards,
Thien
Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
TE Senior Member

I agree with you Bayleaf. If the photos are going to be projected in a free exhibition for a limited amount of time, that's one thing. If they are going to be used to create museum gift-store products, that's another issue. From an American standpoint, anyway, it would be odd to give ones photos away without some basic agreement on how they will and won't be used. Perhaps they are not so anal about this in Italy.

Maybe somebody could invite the organizer to this thread so he doesn't have to respond to 100 people individually. I'm sure there are various questions that need to be answered as well. Like what size resolution will be sufficient, etc.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:50 PM
TE Junior Member

I totally agree with Jose, I'm not looking for money- I'm just honored that we've been invited. But I respect those who think arrangements must be made, hopefully this won't get so complicated as to "snafu" the whole plan. My photography is for my pleasure and if others glean a small satisfaction from it- Great. I do it for the fun, nothing else. Ansel Adams, I'll never be nor would I want to be.
JJ
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 AM
TE Junior Member

I do understand. But what you need to do is state the above in your agreement with the organizer. If you don't they can do anything they want with your photos. That's pretty much all I'm trying to say. I'm sorry you didn't understand my posts.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks Mike. This is basically what I'm trying to say. I was worried about using the word "royalties" in case people got the wrong end of the stick. I'm really just saying let's get something in writing to define the extent of the permission. If I could have thought of a different way of putting that without mentioning money, I would of.

Cheers,
Martin.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:24 AM
TE Junior Member

I've read some good ideas here. My question is, has anyone heard back from the exhibit organizers? I image they must be overloaded with all the responses if there are hundreds of us participating. It would definitely help if we all received the same photo file requirements and conditions, perhaps by posting on TE. If Bayleaf wants to draw up an agreement document that could be downloaded and filled in by each participant, it would also be useful.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 AM
TE Newbie

some very good suggestions (file size requirements and a downloaded document agreement) and no i have not heard back from the exhibit organizers as yet. as you stated they are probably over whelmed by responses right now. what a wonderful opportunity for TE members, thank you.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 AM
TE Expert

well, well, well....

..maybe some should consider why they put their pictures at all at Internet - know as the biggest place existing to steal photos. This have been several times commented by leading media.

But of course when (as some said) the millions are rolling in it will be nice to have a formal juridical contract and understanding of how to split the profit....

I have sent my pixes and allowance to the exhibitor under the understanding that his right is only connected to the exhibition and connected activities as pampleths etc. I am very content and happy with that. As I understand this is a scientific center who have this multimedia show as an open public avtivity, not even demanding any allowance.

I am sorry that I on this background see no use in continuing or participating any further in this discussion.

Jack
Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
TE Newbie

I am the coordinator of the exhibition in Trieste Italy you are posting about
I am not a photographer, yet. I told some friends about TE and encouraged them to send their photos, but as myself I do not have anything to share. I registered some time ago just to get in touch with Adam Silverman. I never showed up in this forum (I do not like very much to speak in public). Till today it hasn't even occurred to me that I could have used this opportunity to address those of you who are interested in the matter.
Let's talk shop, then
As far as a formal contract for the usage ofis concerned, in the few replies I have managed to write so far (it is true I am presently overloaded with the huge amount of messages I still have to properly reply) I have written that we do not need any formal statement, but if you do, please just ask and we can send a formal letter.
Allbeit, we do not have any contract template. It is true that we have organised quite many exhibitions like this one (that you can see listed at http://www.immaginarioscientifico.it/ita/museo/catalogo.htm), but we have always worked with science pictures just asking the scientists for the permission to use them (or in case of big institutions like NASA, not even asking anybody and just putting their names in the credits).
Anyway, our present request is limited to this exhibition, which should last approximately from August to October 2004. The exhibition is open to the public free of charge and no merchandising will be derived from TE photos. We still have to decide which photo(s) we are going to use to advertise the exhibition, if any. In case, as we hope, the exhibition will be a hit and we will plan to reschedule it, your assent will be surely requested again.
That's all for now. Thanks again for your help and enthusiasm.
Ettore