Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Books on photography..

I've been trying very hard to understand this fabulous Hobby ( I know some of you have it as a job) called Photography. I feel I've understood a little from taking my shots and looking at others here, all the feedback given on this site is great.

But lately I have felt a bit stumped, I just lack a lot of knowledge about how to take a good Image . I do understand that practice makes perfect, but I feel I also need to lern the theory behind certain aspects of photography.

I've searched the net and read all I can but I really wan't something I can have on the shelf back home, something to repeatedly look at if I need an answer.

So I was wondering if anybody knows of any good books on the subject of photography ( maybe digital?) that might help a novice such as myself?

Cato
Old 11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Books on photography..

My two cents of this subject:

1) Forget for now the digital vs. film photography discussions, focus on the basics of photography ... depth of field / appertures /light / exposure / velocity and so on... the digital/film/medium format are just diferent medias of recording the same image.

2) Know your equipment, it's very important to know well your equipment... work in Manual Modes ... forget the automatic ones ... you will waste lots of photos but it's the only way to learn ... trial and mistake :)))

It's almost like learning how to drive, you only start to really learn how to drive when you start to drive alone :)

3) Do this exercice: Once you think you know your equipment well, start shooting with other equipments, film, polaroids, other digital ones, point&Shoot

4) see photography, read photography (TE is great for this, really)

5) find groups to shoot, beeing collectivly in the streets is great for knowledge sharing
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
TE Expert

If you want to learn about exposure (aperture, speed, f-stop, ISO, light metering, and so on), I recommend warmly Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. When I first bought my camera, I was a total novice. I had no idea which aperture, which speed, to choose. This book is very simple to understand, everything is explain clearly and with lots of examples (photos). I was and still is shooting in complete manual mode and it was a gift to have this book. At last, I was undertanding!

This author has also written another book, Learning to see creatively which is also very interesting. It gives many creative idea that you can, from there, explore and explore and explore again!

For the rest, I thing Mario gave you very good advice. Shoot. Try. Dare.

Claire

(By the way, in the links to Amazon, you can have a look inside the book at the table of contents, etc.)
Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks Mario and Claire.

Your advice is greatly accepted. I'm really enjoying photo and I feel I need a more basic aproach to taking shots. I've been shooting in semi- manual mode ( Av mode and manual focus) so I wouldn't do big blunders:) but full manual will, as you two have pointed out, teach me more, and the bonus of digital is that I save a lot on procesing prints.

I'll have a look at the books and I'll try the change it around option. ( I did some pinhole shots some years ago but I lack the facilities, I did howewer find that really fun).

I value your input and thank you for giving me some ideas:)

Cato