Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great rgarrigus 2007-12-27 23:48

Hi Patrick,

To be honest this one caught my eye immediately in the thumbnail gallery but the larger image didn't quite have what I had hoped. Let me highlight what I like first. I love the sky and the middle ground. The slight mist lingering over the loch is great. The very slight hint of blue between the clouds adds interest to the sky as well. That is all great for me and I see why you were compelled to make the image. Now the bits that aren't working for me are the foreground and the contrast. The foreground is well-composed but it just doesn't seem strong enough. To my eye the large clump of grass is not interesting enough as a subject but I do see why you composed it as you have. Funny thing is that my eye is having a visual fight with the smaller gray rock at the bottom left. I'm also not sure about the overall contrast of the image. It looks like HDR but I might be incorrect. I find that HDR can be a life saver sometimes but for me it sometimes has the unwanted effect of reducing contrast to something that doesn't look natural to my eye. That's only a personal opinion though.

I have been in this situation before - staring at a wonderful scene and searching for a good foreground. Case in point where it seems I failed:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo791090.htm

I'm certain I would have taken this shot too but I don't think it works for me overall.

Glad I found your image as it led me to your gallery. Lots of good stuff in there.

Cheers!

Bob G.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM
TE Newbie

Default To rgarrigus: hdr

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your honest comments, I agree with your opinoin on the foreground, even when I was processing the shot i found that that the grassy clump is just too similar in colour to the grass in front of it and thus lacks any real definition of its own. the image is a hdr image from 5 exposures, allthough the sky is from one of the individual images.

thanks again,

Patrick