Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great johnfreeman 2008-01-14 6:13

Hi Patrick,
I assume this is the same road as the one in your post yesterday, which I liked but couldn't help wondering what was over the brow of the hill.
They're both very striking shots but I definitely prefer this one (particularly as you actually get to see where the road goes!). It has a very strong sense of place - I can really imagine being there, standing at the end of that road, feeling the wind coming at me straight across the water. The sky in particular is amazing.
I'm a big fan of vertical formats using a wide-angle lens and here it works extremely well. Composition and colours are perfect, the greys and subdued yellows giving a wet wintery feel.
I'm curious about HDR but have never yet tried using it. At most I've taken separate exposures for foreground and sky and subsequently combined them as different layers in Photoshop. I notice that in some of your HDR shots (as well as those by other people) this produces the appearance of a slight lack of sharpness, almost as though there were several images superimposed (which I suppose in a way there are). This is perhaps particularly evident with windblown grass (as in Road to Nowhere) where the grass is actually changing position between the individual exposures.
Cheers!
John

Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM
TE Newbie

Default To johnfreeman: thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to give such a useful critique. Don't get me wrong, any critiques are always welcome, but there is only so much "great colours, nice pov, nice exposure" that you can take. it is refreshing to have a very structured and honest critique.

Thanks!

Patrick