Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great yeti1975 2008-02-17 9:45

HI,

Next time you take a similar photograph be sure to bracket your shots. then you can merge them to get a fantastic shot with the details of the moon in your picture. To get the details of the moon you will have to shoot at approx 1/5-1/15 sec @ f 5, depending on th luminosity and the clarity of th sky.

I am aware of the difficulties of night photography at high altitudes. When I shoot on film I have to give exposures of 15= minutes and stand out in the cold. A layer of frost deposits on my clothes. I remember when I was shooting at Tapovan in end of October I was looking like a yeti at the end of my session at 3 am. Some of those photos are in my gallery.

Rajib

Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default To yeti1975: Thanks!!

Thanks Rajib 4 comments...
But mine is not a DSLR....so I shoot it with max exp available i.e 15Sec. I know giving less expose time and narrower aperture I could capture more moon details but in that case the house won't get this luminosity. What u meant by bracketing the shot? I don't have much idea on this. Did u mean HDR?

Ambar
Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 PM
TE Newbie

Default bracketing

Bracketing means taking number of shots at different exposure. Your camera will have to option. if not then you can do it manually. take around 5 shots -2,-1,0,+1,+2 and merge them using HDR. Alternatively copy all the images in different layers and use the eraser tool to erase out the unwanted parts of different layers to get your image.

The + exposure shots will give you details of the house, the - exposure will give you details of the moon.

I have not taken any shots with the moon in my frame till date. I take shots of moon light illumination. I use small aperture that is why I use exposure of 15+ minutes. This long exposure gives the distinctive star trails.

If your camera has a cable release socket you can take long exposures in bulb mode.

Rajib