Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-26-2003, 07:23 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Vivane - Responding to your comments on my comments...

I certainly didn't mean to step on your toes. I have no need to offend anyone and try hard not to (even to the point of throwing in those stupid little happy faces - just in case ;o)

""It would be like a meeting of a camera/photo club." - Now, that sounds interesting, but I can't imagine how to keep the number of commenters not too high either?"

This is where my thinking has been going for a while.

Let's say you're going to invite some friends over to your house to discuss each other's photos. OK, there's six people on the "Must Invite" list. But you want a bit more action so you invite a couple more, maybe that newcomer that just moved in a few doors down....

And that meeting goes pretty well but there was actually a bit too much discussion, so next time you invite a few less people. Or if there wasn't enough discussion you invite a few more.

If you can keep your 'circle' private then people won't know if they have been invited or 'dis-invited' (this is where feelings are most likely to be hurt).

If you're house-bound with a sprained ankle you can add an extra 50 people to your list, prune it down later when you have less time.

I'm not sure that the number of comments received would ever be too high for me. I think that the number of comments would reflect the number of comments you were giving to others.

I suspect that people would tend to add people to their circle who gave them the type of comments that they wanted (critical or just praise, as desired). Over time people would sort themselves into loosely organized, amorphous groups of like minded individuals.

People could move from group to group as their interests shifted. And people could move without having to apply for admission. (And we wouldn't have hurt feelings on the part of excluded people.)
Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Adam -- Suggestion/Question

(Does this thread break the record for being the longest;-) )

How about either a link or button in the photo display page where people can mark the image as innapropriate for TrekEarth, this in turn could save the marked items in the database field, A moderater section could be built in which moderators could view a list of photos that members have marked as innapropriate (Sorted by number of reports against the photo or date). If one of the moderators agrees with the members, they could select a check box beside the item, select an appropriate reason from a drop down box, and click a button that says remove/block which in turn marks it as such in the database. It could also generate an email that send out an earlier suggestion saying why it is innaproprate and a suggestion of other sites.

ANyway, thats the short form of my suggestion. Feel free to ask me questions.

Heather
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Adam -- Suggestion/Question ++

forgot a little bit from the last one ...

The image would still be seen in the users manage list with the reason for blocking, so that a reminder would be there about what is not acceptable on TrekEarth. But the image would no longer be viewable by the public.

Also, if a member generates too many complaints for inapropriate photos, another email could be sent reminding them of the rules and guidlines.

And if the pattern continues, then thier account could be suspended.

Ok, that's all this time. hehehe. I think anyway. oooooo I love this kinda stuff. ANyone else need any ideas??>>??? LOL

Heather
Old 10-26-2003, 08:31 PM
TE Expert

There is a link next to every photo with 'Report Violation'. Clicking on it will let me let me know to take a look to determine whether it violates the TOS. If it does, I remove or deactivate it as well as having an email sent out with a description on why it was removed. If it was deactivated, the photographer may email me back with an explanation. In some cases I then reactivate it, while in others I remove it explaining why.

As far as a photo being 'inappropriate', that's a different story, because everyone will have different opinions. There will be those who see a macro flower shot and feel it's inappropriate while others who see it think it's fine. That's why I don't think having moderators determine what is appropriate or not will work in this situation.

If I decide to go with a Groups feature, the group creator might have some kind of moderator abilty to remove a photo within their group.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:06 PM
TE Newbie

D'oh! Never even noticed the link before! my bad!
Luckily, I have never recieved an email about my photos(although I sometimes skimp on the description)

However, moderation still might be your solution. Moderators would of course have guidlines set out for them. I think that you would have to write the guidlines for them stating for example if macro flower shots are appropriate.

I just figured moderators would take some of the burden off yourself. I am sure some of the long time members would not mind volunteering some of thier time to keep the site running smoothly and effectively.

I'm not a big supporter of the group idea (from what I understand it would be grouping of people with common interests? Or is it more basic - serious users and not so serious users). What if you don't belong to a group? I mean what photos I do post (generally not as fantastic as most of the phots I've seen on here), I would like people to see them, but if they are just looking at thier friends list, how is that fair? Does that I mean I have to join a group even to be looked at by maybe some of the more adept photographers?

And as I thought was a post in another thread somewhere, informal cliques are already an "issue" with some users. Meaning an average photo maybe get 30 comments just because the person has a larger friend base then someone that posts an above average photo. (not talking about any of my photos, or pointing fingers I swear, just picking up an earlier argument)

Anyway, that's my more then two cents on everything I can think of (groups, photo guidlines etc.).

Heather the un-cliqued ;)
Old 10-26-2003, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Posting and Critiquing Guidelines

If you want to develop the Favorites feature it's fine by me, but to create groups I think it's an huge error.

Suddenly we'll start having snob groups, guerrilla between groups, etc. I even have a name for the most prestigious group. How about "Mount Olympus" (the greek olympus, not the camera...)? :o)

Adam, if you need people to help you (and I believe so) get some moderators to the site, but not to this type of groups. This will create ghettos.

Heather:
This kind of groups exist in an informal way and allways keep changing. The question is not the number of friends. The question is this became a way of first filter to view and critique the huge ammount of photos. I have rules to make critiques. First I look at the work of those who spent their time and effort looking and making critiques to my photos as a courtesy. If they're photos deserve to be critiqued then I critique them. After that I go to the gallery.

The problem of formal groups (especially very formal groups with moderators) is that they will cristalize and be more stiff as todays "groups".
Old 10-26-2003, 10:18 PM
TE Newbie

"""Trek Earth is dedicated to fostering a global community interested in photography from around the world. Trek Earth members strive to provide engaging photographs and useful critiques for each other and the entire internet community"""

The above is this sites mission statement , which I believe still holds true , I am not one to really get into the discussion scene , on these boards but some of the ideas being mooted about are good and bad the only way to go is for Adam to take a balanced view on all options

Yes I know the image posting has increased exponentially and the personal time one can spend on critiques is somewhat at a premium but in the end , this site is what a member personally makes of it , now there will always, and in all walks of life be disagreements of opinion on how to look towards the future , but really Adam had the vision to create this site and for the best part with all its teething troubles, he has made this community work, judging by the amount of correspondence on these issues raised here. My only wish is that more members join in and voice there ideas for Adam to mull over

Have I the answer ..... Well no...... I will let Adam decide the direction it should take, as he had the global vision that has and still does enrich my life
Regards to you all
Roland
Old 10-26-2003, 10:24 PM
TE Newbie

oops. I'm not for groups at all! I completely disagree with them. I work the same way. But opposite. I look at the gallery first, look at something that catches my eye, critique it, then move on the my favourites list or looking at people that have responded to me or to other photos.

And I'm with you when it comes to moderators for the whole site, not in cliques.