Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-28-2003, 02:09 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Uncritiqued View

Adam,

I just checked out the uncritiqued page after not having been there in a while. I wonder if you might consider changing this view to only display uncritiqued photos of those who have reached silver critiquer level or above.

I don't want to waste my time critiquing people who don't care about critiques and aren't participating on TE (except to upload their photos).
Old 10-28-2003, 03:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Un-critiqued View

Seconded.

Some sorting system would be nice. I earlier suggested that we develop a criteria for 'No longer active' members and separate their un-critiqed pictures from those of currently active members.

Using 'Silver level' members would knock out the Newbys.

I'm not wedded to a particular system, but I would rather give my energy to someone who's likely to see my efforts.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Uncritiqued View

Thats a really harsh opinion, but a good one. I have to agree. I Third this one.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:15 AM
TE Newbie

Woah that's a little harsh don't you think. So someone new that just joined, has not chance of getting there stuff looked at? That's crazy! Especially since not everyone looks at ratings. And even some people that do have point systems turned on, don't bother to take the time and say whether or not a critique is useful. And on top of that useful is subjective. I mean I find comments that even say it is a good photograph (or bad photograph), useful, simply for the fact that it give me a notion of how I am doing.

I think if you see something that catches your eye (whether or not the user high in points, or "levels" go ahead and look at it at the very least).

And besides that, I have stopped myself from writing critiques MANY times simply because all I have to say is that I like it. (which kind of goes against what i was saying earlier). But I stop myself because there are people out there that get upset if admirers of the work just say they like it with out an all out technical detailed list of what the exact particulars are on why they like it. *sigh*

All this back and forth on ratings, types of images, etc is really making this a not very fun place to visit anymore. I don't want to be stressed out when I look at someone's photos. I want to see other parts of the world that I can't visit. I want to share my part of the world with others. I want to learn from other people. Why can't it simply be about that??
Old 10-29-2003, 02:22 AM
TE Junior Member

This is a bit harsh Mike, for the reasons mentioned by 'CosyCloud'. What we really need here is an extension to our 'personal' preferences which allows filtering of galleries. Then you could look at whatever you wanted, but the main gallery still contains everything.

Ron.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:50 AM
TE Senior Member

CosyCloud/ronners,

I'm talking about the Uncritiqued Page, NOT the main gallery. Most members aren't even aware of its existence. (Go to Gallery, Categories, Views, Uncritiqued). The whole point of that view is to be able to find photos that may not have received the attention they deserve (ie at least one critique). Given that there's 2000+ photos in there, I would much prefer to give my attention to photos from active users. If there's an easier, more acceptable way to define "active user" that's fine with me. I only suggested the silver-level criteria because it would be very easy to code and that level is very easy to achieve. A newby could achieve that in 24 hours if they wanted to.

> there are people out there that get upset if admirers of the work
> just say they like it with out an all out technical detailed list of what the exact
> particulars are on why they like it.
Well that is in the terms of service -- you should put some reasoning behind your statements. Adam manually removes "nice shot" critiques when he sees them. If only out of respect to him, I suggest following the guidelines and lessening his workload. You don't have to let it stress you out. After all if your critique is marked Unuseful, it has no bearing on anything.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:20 AM
TE Newbie

I am aware of the un-critiqued page.
I'm not so sure that silver level is easy to achieve if you are not on the site all the time (and like I said - some people don't even bother to mark how useful a critique is - especially it seems if that person is a "newbie").

>Well that is in the terms of service -- you should put some reasoning behind
>your statements. Adam manually removes "nice shot" critiques when he sees them.
>If only out of respect to him, I suggest following the guidelines and lessening
>his workload. You don't have to let it stress you out. After all if your
>critique is marked Unuseful, it has no bearing on anything.

Some of the best art or photographs out there in the world just invoke emotions in people without people knowing a specific reason. I mean how would an average person know that they like the picture because the stream is on the left bottom side instead of in the middle? Maybe someone just likes it because the place looks like an interesting place to visit or it looks like someplace from their childhood.

I do follow the guidelines on almost all occasions, and have given descriptions on why I like the image, but it never seems to be enough (I have only critiqued about 100 only about 55 or so have been marked as useful)

This isn't a college class we are in here. It's a web community made up of the spectrum of photography levels.

I almost feel like when I like an image and don't have enough to say or someone else has already said it, I would be better off keeping my mouth shut about it in case someone gets offended (explained in previous reply) ... but this is the last word I will say on this as the discussion truly is becoming tiresome.

ok I will most likely post more, who am I kidding ...? :)
Old 10-29-2003, 05:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Just a suggestion...

Turn off the point system and quit worrying about the numbers.

Points are evil. They will rot your spirit. ;o)
Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Just a suggestion...

If you were talking to me ... already done.
I 100% agree points are evil.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:26 AM
TE Expert

"Some of the best art or photographs out there in the world just invoke emotions in people without people knowing a specific reason."

The reason why I have this in the TOS is what generally happens is that for every well-thought out critique there ends up being 10 'nice shot!' critiques. I don't like scrolling through these to get to the thoughtful ones. In addition, due to the potential for back-slapping behavior, this is no longer allowed. Otherwise a member might leave a ton of 'nice shot' critiques with the sole purpose of receiving more points on their own.

"I almost feel like when I like an image and don't have enough to say or someone else has already said it, I would be better off keeping my mouth shut about it"

I also feel this way. Which is why, if I see something I like and wish to critique, I try to write the critique before reading the other critiques. This is partly why the form is placed above the already written critiques.