Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-14-2003, 04:03 AM
TE Senior Member

Default A little help please....

When I grabbed this shot the woman was walking closely in front of the man with the plaid shirt. The shirt photographed bright and sharp.

I selected the shirt, decreased the brightness and blurred it so that the woman would predominate the image. I've ended up with a bad transition between cheek and shirt, and along the edge of her head gear.

What technique would be best to minimize the transition? Simply blurring the edge? Or something else?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:29 AM

Default Re: A little help please....

You need to take a layered approach - not sure whether PSE supports it though...

My process - make the selection, NewLayerViaCopy. Invert selection, NewLayerViaCopy. We now have three layers, the part you wish to blur, the part you want crisp and the original image. Move the layer to remain crisp to the top, then apply your blur to the layer containing that which you want to blur. Done. Good luck deciphering what I'm on about ;-)

Oh, and if you post the original as a WS I'll have a go for you!
Old 10-14-2003, 04:34 AM

Or you could email the original to keep your WS allowance intact :-)
Old 10-14-2003, 04:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Given that the woman's clothes are quite uniformly colored, I would guess that a selection based on color would probably work pretty well. You could pick an area of here clothing, do the selection, then invert the selection and work on toning down whatever you have left.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:46 AM
TE Junior Member

I find that the blur tool is PS work very well. I just apply the strength I wanted and away I go :)
Old 10-14-2003, 05:29 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Thanks folks...

I've uploaded a new version.

I used layers (for the first time, thanks A) and I think the cheek/shirt transition is better.

I also used layers, select, desaturate to try to get rid of the chromatic aberration along the dark brown head gear - right side of the image.

Please take a look and give me some more feedback. Maybe a bit of careful blurring as well?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:58 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks folks...

Your approach using layers is a bit too drastic. It created a halo-like artifact that I think is even worse than the original. I made a version starting from your original photo using the blur tool. I hope you will like it.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:42 AM
TE Senior Member

Default And still more thanks...

I like what I was able to do with layers. I did like the control that it gave, but it did leave a 'halo'.

A bit of judicious use of the blur tool seems to be a good way to get rid of the halo.

I wonder if there is some way to use layers without creating a halo?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:43 AM

The problem is that the colour adjacent has bled into the rest of the image. I've prepared a Workshop from the original - I hope it helps :-)

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks A -

Your version handles the skin/shirt/cowl transitions extremely well. I've got to take some time and walk myself through the steps so that I understand them.

You've darkened the woman's skin and clothes more than they actually were, but how would you know? You weren't there.

This is one of the fun things about these workshops to me, having someone take my work past the limits imposed on me by having seen it 'in the flesh'.

And, again, thanks to all of you for the help.