Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: it tells a stupid story, yes!

Not very constructive or even clear criticism, I'm afraid. Please explain what's "stupid" about it?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:22 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: And more cats still stand..

People living below the poverty line, on the edge of subsistence level happens every day as well on half the planet. As it seems, some people still feel that's news-worthy. I know that it's easy to forget about news when it's always around you.

In that sense, one can discuss every picture and note, and wonder about news worthyness! The last picture you posted - which I do like! - is showing us a piece of land in between two seas. How did it get there? Why did two seas split up by a slab of land less than 500 metres wide? Are the two seas connected anywhere? Volcanic area? Enough questions but none answered. The thing I learned through your self-portrait is that you either like your yellow shirt, or you only have one hahaha. (You also have it on your intro page). But that's little news to share as well ;-) (Grapje)

Groeten uit Indonesie!
Dennis
Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
TE Expert

Make your own selection from this definition (ref. The american Heritage, dictionaries) of stupid:

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

My favorite No. 5
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Stray cats, the problems of the world, etc.

But viewed in the other way, you probably before didn't even knew Ithaki existed and even if you knew, there is more info in the note which you could learn about.
Can you agree that there probably are tons of photo's which don't answer every question..or even close to every question one can come up to..by viewing and studying the photo.
Quite some people don't even read (y)our notes, so why write a long one? (I still do that however..)

The discussion how the island did get there, partially depends on your religion..many people will say God wanted it so..for many people that's enough answer.
The two sea's connect north and south of the island ;) No volcanic area!

p.s. the photo in my profile is taken on the same day, hence the same shirt ;)

To me and viewed in case of TE regime, cats remain pets, if they live on the streets or not, basically their species is a pet to humans in general. So weither they live on the streets or not, the idea is the same, for me. Regarding case of terms of service..there has to be something special with the photo and/or note to tell me more.
Maybe I shouldn't look at it this way, but I do..

I know there are stray cats everywhere, a stray cat photo from Venezuala only shows a cat which lives on the street in Venezuela. One from Turkey shows a cat living on the streets in Turkey..both are still cats and they could have lived with humans, fact is, at the moment they don't. Maybe I see it different because of the situation here in Holland. Stray cats here, are just escaped from a home, they live on the streets, but most only do that for a short period of time. They still look like every other cat here, it's hard to tell the difference. In a few months they'll be picked up and eventually some family adopts them again from an asylum. And then the difference is gone again, it has become a formal pet again.

There are good cat photo's here, but these close-ups without a note, they bother the msot and tell the least! Those are the biggest 'problem'.

In other countries, I know, these cats stay living on the streets, there are no good asylums, or they lack space anyway, or nobody cares to bring the poor animals there. Yes they stay on the streets..but still in my mind..it's a humans pet in general, only no one takes care of these cats. Likely because in those countries it's allready hard enough to feed your kids, so "why feed the cats, they can feed themselves."

Abandoned kids photographed, probably who have lost their parents, yes it also happens everywhere, but one can tell a good story..What are the circumstances in these villages? Why do children lose their parents? What's going on in a country or region? Is it a long lasting cival war? A political war? Drugs gang war? Is it something what happens in Darfur? Or is their just a high level of unemployment with all kinds of problems due to that?

Always another story..if you know about the story and if you have taken a good photo, you can write it down..and share it

But the story of a cat..do you know the whole story? You can't ask the cat..

People living below the poverty line, on the edge of subsistence level happens every day as well on half the planet. As it seems, some people still feel that's news-worthy. I know that it's easy to forget about news when it's always around you.
>>>>>>>>>>
Yeah it seems so, people enclose such people in their hearts, because they feel sorry..they bring up lot's of emotions. Well, I feel sorry to for them too, but in anyway, I must admit I just don't like to see it everyday. Not on the news, not here on TE. So I hardly critique such photo's..
Again maybe hard, but for me it's the story.

Everyone has his own opinion on that. Some people only like to see these problems of our world, the kids, the sorrow in developing countries in Asia, Africa or wherever. They don't like sunsets, that's fine..it is this persons own taste. But speaking for myself, well after the portion on the news, I have enough of it and am not actively searching for more sorrow to view. I have my own allready.
I'll mostly stick to my sunsets, landscapes, architecture, macro's and happier things in live..

Phew, that's some text to swallow.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:54 AM
TE Junior Member

It´s no stupid story, dear Jack. Would you please have a look at the my critique to Marjolein´s cat photo!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you. I know how to use a dictionary myself, in fact I collect dictionaries. I was only asking how your "stupid" referred to my photo post.

You're welcome to your opinion that it is pointless and/or worthless, of course. It still isn't constructive criticism though, not exactly in the spirit of TE either.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Even worse...why do we have a domestic cats theme ?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
TE Newbie

Because "domestic" is culturally-dependant?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:00 PM
TE Senior Member

I guess not, I believe most of the cats in that theme are pets..they have a home..

Definitions of "domestic" on the Internet, English :

Animals that are tamed and raised by humans. Dogs, cats, cows, horses, goats, and sheep are all examples of domestic animals.

So, yes, the types of animals that are considered domestic, they differ from country to country, or culture to culture if you like..

But domestic=domestic.

To me :
domestic -> pet -> be gone, unless part of a photo instead of being the photo itself (these close-up's I mentioned before).

stray/street/feline/whatever -> borderline; can go if posted with out a decent note.

Any other views are welcome, I might reconsider :-)
Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Banned

Default Re: WHY WHY WHY??

I agree with you totally, some people are "favorites" and can post what ever they want no problem, others are selected and deleted. we see the same photos of those "favorites" on the feature page repeated over and over, but my freind dont worry or be bitter about this, just have fun with it, take your fotos and place a note and see what happens dont let anybody get to you. I wouldnt waste my time talking to system adminstrators either trying to get an explanation, since most of the time they will tell you "if you dont like it leave this site."