Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default copyright and stolen images on TE

Hello,
I found 4 of my images posted on TE and TL, published without my authorization on other sites (The Seoul Times or promotions for dancers and spectacles of tango) and this in spite of the copyright. Moreover the majority were recut to make disappear the discrete mention from copyright. How to defend oneself against these theft? Which are the recourse or the fines to be required? I fell on these 4 images a little by chance but how much others are disseminated thus in the world? Which advices can you give me before managing from there to withdraw my photographs of TE/TL or posting an enormous copyright in the middle of the photographs?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: copyright and stolen images on TE

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to prevent images from being taken, although sometimes contacting the webmaster of the site that's using the images without authorization will get them removed.

Sometimes there are governmental agencies which cover that sort of thing, for example you could contact the Ministry of Culture and Tourism or the Copyright Commission for Deliberation and Conciliation in Korea.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2005, 02:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Theres a teqhnique you can use which makes an invisible "watermark" on your image, that doesnt spoil your image, however when you highlight the image your copyright coudl be sprawled all across the image if you wanted.

I dont know if it will solve your problem but if your images were stolen then you would still have this watermark to prove they were yours!

I dont know the exact method, but I will try and find the article I read explaining, and I will post the link.

Alternatively you could try searching for a watermark method yourself.

Hope I helped slightly.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 PM
TE Junior Member

The only sure way to stop people from taking your images wihout permission is to stop posting them on the internet for all to see. Copyright warnings and such do little to stop these people. That's why the most famous photographers post only a small body of their work on the web.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:38 PM
TE Senior Member

I assume that if we do not permit the workshop function, then others can't downlaod our pictures. Otherwise, it is so easy to download a picture.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 PM
TE Junior Member

nop, your assumption is wrong..
if you don't permit the workshop function, you just don't allow the posting of an altered version, that's it. the downloading is straight forward with or without this option

anton
Old 06-20-2005, 08:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Wow! thanks Anton, so way don't they make it so that pictures can't be downloaded? As it is , it is an invitation to pitate.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 PM
TE Newbie

I sympathise big time, because exactly the same thing happened to me, photos were downloaded from TrekEarth & I found them on other sites. There should be some legal action against these vermin scum that get away with this, but the Internet is a very liquid concept. I knew a girl webmaster who stole images from other sites for her business website as a matter of course & asked her if she had a conscience. ''Of course not,'' she said, ''they would steal my images in a second if it was them.'' Bull! It is in my opinion criminality, and offenders should be left to rot in jail as it is nothing less than base theft.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
TE Junior Member

Kevin, if pictures could not be downloaded, they were not visible at all. This is the core principle of WWW -- you have to download everything first (either text or images) to be able to see it.

Marek
Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for all your advice. This is the continuation of the story. Yesterday I wrote to the administrator of the site "The Seoul Times" to complain and claim my royalties. He didn't answer me but my photographs already disappeared from the site replaced by others, undoubtedly stolen elsewhere. Fortunately, I kept the evidence : copies of pages Internet and saving of the photographs recut and renamed. Conclusion : save the evidence before claiming ! I will wait a few weeks to see whether they pay the royalties (I doubt it) and perhaps that I will put this case into the hands of a lawyer ... I will follow my mood ...