Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default critiques with no rating are useless

Why leave a critique with no rating, when a comment would be better?
I've seen a lot of comments that were posted as critiques with no raiting. By having the option of both, isn't TE over-complicating things? A critique should rate a photo, while a comment does not. A critique that doesn't rate a photo is useless in this regard.

Obviously we can't be giving photographs negative critiques that mean negative or minus points. If a photo is that bad, then I'd suggest not leaving a critique at all. A comment on photographic technique will suffice.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: critiques with no rating are useless

Why not give critiques on a "bad" photo ? There are already members enought that only use this site with "o, how wonderful", "that is beautiful" etc... only to receive points back from others. I think this is a wrong attitude. When it's good, say it, when it's not good, it must be possible to say it too without having the feeling to step on someone's feet...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
TE Senior Member

... enough in stead of "enought", I mean...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
TE Junior Member

That a photo gets no critiques at all should be enough to tell someone about the quality of the photo. TE would become a terrible place for amateur and aspiring photographers if there were negative points. How would you feel if a photo had a score of -2?

Anyway, there are three levels of critique. "Very good", "good" and "neutral/poor". The extra "no rating" option has no meaning, as it turns a critique into the same as a comment.
That's the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
TE Senior Member

I did not say negative "points" would be good. The point you are making, is your point and that's your opinion. That does not mean that others should agree.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
TE Junior Member

I didn't say others should agree. I shouldn't agree with you either. Everyone is welcome to their opinions. This is mine.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM

I certainly don't agree that critiques without rating are useless. The content of the critique should be the important thing, not the rating.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Perhaps the title of my post was a little strong.
What I want to convey is that critiques without a rating on TE are redundant, as a critique without a rating on TE is the same as a comment.

I often see critiques without a rating that are actually not critiques at all, but are a comment. The 'critique' contains nothing constructive, but as a critique on TE it affects the rating of the photo.

So I'm suggesting that comments and 'NR' critiques be combined, or 'NR' critiques be removed. This would make the critiqueing and commenting system clearer, I think.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
TE Expert

Hi Richard,
In my case, for example, I explain my choice to disable my points as following:
-1- I'm really learning about photography and I know that there are many members much better than me. Since the grades (points) are very limited (only zero, 1 and 2), I think I could not receive 2, in comparison to other images technically more advanced than mine, nor zero in comparison to others worse than mine.
-2- Since I have a lot to learn about photography, I'm not the best one to give points to someone else's picture.
-3- May be because of -1- and -2- I don't pay attention to points.
-4- I use NR (no rating) critiques "for any critical or praiseworthy comments about the critiqued photo, including specific reasons as to why a photo is either good or needs improvement", in my opinion, and it also helps me to learn.
-5- I use COMMENTS to say something not necessarily linked to the technique of a photo. It has nothing to do with giving points or not.

I think what I wrote on -4- and -5- explains for me the difference between NR critiques and comments.
What do you think about it?
MCV
Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
TE Expert

Point 16 of the FAQ reads as follow:
What's the difference between a critique and comment?
Critiques should contain specific information as to why a photo is good or not. Comments should contain information not related to the artistic or technical aspects of the photo.

Seems to me that it is quite clear.

And you forget about people who have disabled the point system. Why do these people not able to give a critique?

Claire