Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-20-2007, 12:05 PM
TE Newbie

Default Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) by land ? ? ? HELP!

Hey guys,
in a month I am going to Thailand and also want to make a trip to Angkor Wat. I was checking all possibilities. I wouldn't like to use airplanes beacause it is not fun. I know that I have to get to Aranyaprathet/Poipet boarder, but whats then? Should I get there by public bus, minivan, organised tour from Khao San Road? I am checking every possibility but I still don't know the detaila.
H E L P ! ! !
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) by land ? ? ? HELP!

Hi David
As you say flying is no fun, I assume you are not interested in the low cost flights that go direct to Siem Riep. So many low cost flights with Nok Air, Asia Air, Bangkok, Air etc have reduced the demand for road travel. However there are still lots of options. I would advise against doing it yourself. Poi Pet can be a bit of a culture shock, a managing to get a local bus from there, with all the hassle of then hustlers and the beggars and the not speak the language is hardly worth the trouble. Poi Pet is stressful at the best of times (keep your camera where no little hand can find it). At Poi Pet you really do enter the third and it can be a bit 'in your face'.
Your best bet is to take a mini van trip from Bangkok to Siem Riep. The driver steers you through the chaotic immigration procedure and drops you off in the low cost accommodation area in Siem Riep. Make sure you get a mini bus all the way. In the past people have got a decent mini bus to the boarder, only to find they have bee transferred to the back of a pick up truck for the journey the other side. The Cambodian Roads are getting better every year but they are still rough and bumpy. It is still quite a tough journey. As you say, you can get lots of these mini buses going from the Khow San area or any travel agent. there are lots. I will find out the current cost and let you know. regards kevin
Old 06-20-2007, 01:06 PM
TE Senior Member

P.S I have just checked with Charlie Connections. Travel agent in the Khao san Road (66) 0-2629-4262 . The are offering an amazing one way for 300 baht.(The price of a meal). The leave every morning, arriving in Siem Riep in the evening. They guarantee mini bus transport both sides of the boarder. This is juts a sample, but all agents offer about the same deal. best wishes kevin
Old 06-20-2007, 02:02 PM

I did that trip in april 2005.
took a public bus from Bangkok to the border, crossed the border on foot and took a shared taxi from Poipet to Battambang. it is much faster than taking a tourist minibus. I took a tourist minibus on the way back from Siem Reap to Bangkok, and it was like hell, one of the worst travel experiences in my life. the road to the border was very bumpy and the minibus was going with speed 20km/h most of the time, taxis on that route were so much faster and more comfortable, and not very expensive if I remember well.
so, it is easier to take a tourist minibus, but if the road from Poipet to Siem Reap is as bad as it was in 2005 then you will regret it seeing all the taxis overtaking your minibus and hitting the roof of the bus with your hear every 2 minutes.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi!
I`ll be there in december.
From Bangkok I`ll go to Trat,will stay some days at an island,maybe Ko Chang.After this IŽll go to Ban hat Lek,cross the Cambodian Border and take a boat(4 hours) to Sihanoukville.From here i`t`s 3,5 hours to Phnom Penh and another 4 hours to Seam Reap.
I think this is a nice option if you have enogh time.
Leo
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 PM
TE Junior Member

I'll agree with Maciej about the road, at least between Sispohon and Siem Reap (we were going the other way).

Just thought you'd find this link useful. It's sort of the definitive guide to the Bangkok - Siem Reap overland.

<a href=http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm target=newwindow>http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm</a>

Hopefully the link works. Haven't tried posting one before.