Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-06-11 5:25

Hello John,

A fine trio of photographs to accompany these very interesting notes about the history of 'Lanimer Day'.
It has a wonderful history and, as often happens when festivals are enjoyed, has expanded over the years.

I like this idea of a person being responsible for checking that all the boundary stones are in tact; it creates a very tangible link with the area's history. I suppose the person elected to do it is highly respected.
(When will a retired, local surgeon be considered?)

This main photograph captures so many different expressions! Some are jazzing up the moment of crowning whereas, is there one girl who may be showing just a hint of envy!

It's a very well captured scene, sharp and colourful and can't have been easy, as I imagine there were lots of others all eager to record this moment.

It must have been a great blow to the organisers, when the festival was cancelled. I see that the lady who would do the crowning had already been selected.
Just to ease the disappointment as much as possible, a "Lock Down Look Back to Lanimers" has gone live, with the second edition at 8.15 tonight.
Do you think most people will tune in to see this?

Thanks for sharing this.
I love a bit of history, Bev :-)

Old 06-11-2020, 04:22 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: "Look back to Lanimers"

Hello Bev,

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful critique!

Yes, I am sure so many people will be very disappointed that the Lanimers celebrations are not going ahead this year - but, of course, there was no way in which they could on account of Covid-19 as social distancing was never ever practised during Lanimers! It is such a shame for all the schoolchildren who put in so much effort, as well as the grown ups who do so much work building and decorating floats, not to mention those people already chosen as Crowning Lady, the members of the Court and, of course, this year's Lord Cornet himself.

Although I am on Facebook, I have to admit that I don't look at it a great deal - unless I happen to see some miraculous Saxon hoard which you and your metal detector have managed to unearth in your back garden - so thank you for pointing m in that direction - and now I see that there are some videos and old photos there - maybe I should try to add a few? Mind you, I'm not sure how one can go about seeing this video at 8.15 tonight - would that be on Facebook too? I'm just so ignorant when it comes to social media.

And, no, this particular retired person will not be in the running for the honour of being Lord Cornet, thank you very much. Although all the ex-Lord Cornets attend and are very active in the Lanimer events, the current Lord Cornet is almost always of working age and could be of any trade or profession. But although it is an honour to be chosen, the office takes up a huge amount of time and effort as well as personal expense (I've heard it said that a personal expenditure of at least 10,000 in the year would not be considered excessive) and the Lanark Lord Cornet is also obliged to have or to develop a fair degree of horsemanship and attend "ride-outs" in other Border towns where similar events to Lanimers take place - places like Kelso, Selkirk, Jedburgh, Biggar and so on. Nope, not for this one!

Thank you once again Bev! Oh, and will you be "tuning in"?

You two take care.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:26 PM
TE Expert

Hi John,

I watched some pipe bands that were playing in a previous festival, posted by John Watson, I think.

This is the link where they were advertising events to be screened this evening:https://www.facebook.com/Lanimers/
Though I for got to watch!

Kind regards,
Bev
Old 06-11-2020, 11:33 PM
TE Expert

Default I forgot too - but it's all still there, I think!

Hello Bev,

Thanks for your reply. Hee, hee, yes, I forgot too - but, looking at the Facebook page, I think it's all still there! There's not much n the way of photos - may need to rectify that if it's possible!

Best Wishes,

John.