Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-07-06 7:09

Hello John,

I love it!
These young birds are so cute and so very sharply captured, revealing super plumage textures and colours, with a great catchlight in its eye.
It is surprising just how sharp the photographs can be, even when taken through a window!

When the birds are so close and so sharp, you can see differences that are much more difficult from the garden feeders. These young blue tits have much more yellow on their faces than their grown up relatives!

Don't your window feeders have roofs?
I have found that with all the rain we have been experiencing recently that some birds actually sit inside the feeder rather than perching on the edge, to avoid the rain. When they do that, it is almost impossible to photograph them. Mind you with having a roof, I have to snap them just as they are on the edge to get any sort of a shot!!!

Thanks for sharing this,
Bev :-)

Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Bird feeders.....

Hello Bev,

Thank you for your kind remarks!

Yvonne bought me this plastic (or Perspex) bird feeder to stick on the kitchen window and I suspect it's very like yours. From your shot of the robin, I think yours has a curved roof whereas ours has a "pent" roof, but I think they're probably very much the same. You are definitely right about not being able to get satisfactory shots through the plastic - which is why these two shots were taken diagonally through the window so that I missed the plastic bit: the roof was in the picture but, because the bird is so small, I just cropped out that bit of the image. I had earlier taken the precaution of moving the feeder to near one side of the window so I was better able to get an oblique shot - if you see what I mean.

Funnily enough, I've just had a squint at the RSPB website and I see they have a feeder which is probably very similar to ours BUT it has an open "window" at the back - now that might be an idea, eh? Have a look here:
https://www.littlefieldsfarm.com/rsp...MaAr81EALw_wcB

I suppose we could always "modify" one of our feeders to have a "window" like that but I suppose it might weaken the structure a bit.

One good thing about these feeders is that they seem to discourage the big birds - we have lots of massive wood pigeons and lots of aggressive jackdaws who steal all the food from the standard feeders - but they don't seem to come to the window one.

Kind Regards,

John.