Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2021-05-24 7:33

Hello Paul,

I sense that this place was a little disappointing for you but don't be disappointed with the photographs. It's not easy photographing directly into the sun but what an effect it has had! The sun beams are shining across the riverside and making the the grass look as if it has been painted! The monks match so well!
The bridge is hardly visible in the b/g but clearly revealed in your w/s.

I had to smile at your title. I don't know if the expression is the same in your country but in the U.K. 'smalls' often refer to underclothes, usually underpants and knickers! Well done those monks!

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 05-24-2021, 04:27 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: The correct word use?

Thank you Beverley,

I meant to say that the monk had soiled only one item of clothing and wanted to wash it in the river. It was the laundry that was limited to one piece and I used the word 'small' for that.
I had no idea that in this sense the word 'small' denoted underwear.

However, my knowledge of the English language stems from secondary education a long time ago. I may have learned that at the time but forgot so much.
Over the years I have often spoken English with others who had also learned your language as their second or third language. But I have had far fewer contacts with native English speakers.
The latter will also not always correct and are often happy when they have understood the not native English speakers.

So it was the activity of washing that was small and not the kind of clothes.
I won't forget the wrong word use anymore. But how should I have said it in correct English?

PS: I was not disappointed by Siem Reap but wanted to make it clear that it is a place to stay and eat and that it are the different places in the area that require attention of travellers.
Further also that Siem Reap still has little to do with authentic Cambodia.

All the best!
Paul
Old 05-24-2021, 07:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Smalls!

Thank you for you thoughts and explanations, Paul.
There isn’t anything wrong with what you have written, just that it could have a second meaning.
You could say, ‘The monks were doing a little washing’. Same sense but no secondary meaning.

Kind regards,
Bev 😊
Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 PM
TE Expert

Thank you Beverley,

I have changed the title.
It's not easy to know the second meaning of words or expressions unless I would watch a lot of English language movies.

I also remember your comment about 'mooning'
Since then I have once come across the word on TV.
Now I will not forget it anymore.

If you still notice such things, feel free to let me know.
I still find it amazing how you once wrote some comments in Italian while you said you never learned that language. Incredible!

Also occasionally I think I found a good title for my photo but then I cannot use it because the number of characters is too large ...
Another problem.

Kind regards,
Paul