Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TE Newbie

Default The Point System – Does it work???

Well I think it doesn’t…I see a lot of exchanges happening…more of I rate you, you rate me kind…I also see that for every photographer there are only a set of people giving comments…it looks like its more out of interest of the subject in context rather than the skill of the photographer…there are a set of people who comment only on india pics…and then there are some who comment only on china… and somehow asian subjects seem more interesting beacause of their foreign nature... I also notice some pics of subjects in vibrant colors seem to attract more even whem they lack in technicality… the same holds true to some not-so-great photographs(in terms of technicality) by photographers with higher points…the other thing I noticed is fellow countrymen sticking together and commenting each other…so what do you think??? Am I missing something about the points??? Do getting more points get you any rewards???
Old 05-13-2005, 09:46 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: The Point System – Does it work???

Hi Pracas,
you are not so wrong in what you said. IMHO, T.E is like a communauty about sharing pictures and something interesting about what we have discover during our trips or everyday in daily life. Sometimes I don't care if my picture is a good or bad composition, I am not a photographer I just like keep nice memories of what I've seen and share it here. I like to comment and critic the pics which remember me something or make me feel an emotion.
May be you have to critic more to understand, I don't know...Everybody have their own opinion about points ! and I cool to discuss about it here.
See you
Luan
Old 05-14-2005, 03:29 AM
TE Expert

Definitely, a lot of the points are more a way to say "hello, Buddy, how are you doing today?" than anything else. So be it. Nothing to get too worked up about.
Tom , a while ago, thought it could be a good idea to have the pix be anonymous for a few days. With a guideline not to double-guess the author, even if you know. I think it's a good idea, the rhetoric would be more about the pix, and if someone wanted to pay back or cozy up to someone for some reason, it would sound off after a while of doing so repeatedly, even on an eminently recognizable shot. Then, free for people to keep adding points after the author's name appears. It's not the points that are the problem, it's the fact that the way people proceed now, everyone but the regularly highly noted ones, has frustration about what pix gets heavy "rotation" and for what reason, some underlined in this discussion already.
not sure if the idea is interesting to others, to Adam, and if it's technically possible. Just throwing it in.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:28 AM
TE Newbie

Well i think its a better idea to keep the photographer name Anonymous...helps in seeing the merit of the photograph in context before rating it...
herve,
thanks mate...you keep replying to all my posts...i'm happy theres someone to read all the things i crap out!...
Luan,
yeah i agree with you...but in that case its better to go without points...and only comments...don't you think so?
to all my friends on TE,
well guys i'm not going to be commenting on your pics for some time...but thenI still keep checking all your pics everyday...and like them as always...
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 PM
TE Expert

Hi Pracas,
I hope you don't understand that I ask you to come and comment my pictures ;o) in my previous msg, it is not the case. You are right, I'm used to give my greens now on each comments, may I have to change behaviour toward this ?
I'm also agree with Herve, It's look like a good idea to critic pics anonymously. After that you are not feel oblige to kindly critic back the picture, but may be that process makes the game's rules ? what do you think ?
Anymous, I'm happy to discuss that with you.
Take care and have a nice week end.
Luan
Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
TE Expert

I have something more to add, these critics and comments make you discover many others T.E members. There are so manyy pictures posted here, It's impossible to have a look on all members, that's why using anonymous comments can let some people aside with great pictures...
Luan
Old 05-14-2005, 01:25 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree with the previous message. when I see someone's critique on one of my photos, I'm curious about this person and I go and see his pictures. If I like one of them, I'll critique it, but I don't do this just to be polite, it is because I like the images. This way I have discovered many wonderful galleries that I hadn't seen before, because I don't have time to watch all the images sent every day. and I guess people have discovered my pictures this way too, so I don't think you need to be anonymous to critique and so on. don't be too paranoid about this point system and just play ! :)
Vanessa
Old 05-14-2005, 03:22 PM
TE Expert

I personally don't agree with anonimous critiques, and i will explain why:

1. This is community, a community means exchange: give in order to receive... not a perfect deal with points, but look at this example: Do you still point a non-active member? how many of us critiqued/commented/posted WS of to a member for a couple of times with any kind of reply? well, this can be stupid but i just don't do it anymore. This is not a self-promotion site, i keep seeing wonderfull photos but lack of active participation... there are guys outthere with some point and didn't write a single critique to the others members... and the notes... bullshit: "more photos in my site"

2. The thing that makes this site diferent of many others it the personal relations that are built with the exchange of critiques, points, mails what so ever...

3. IMHO comments should generate points also, why not? why does a critique do and comment don't... don't see any diference

4. Points are need, the positive and construtive competicion is always nice and fun, you will see why a photo wasn't well acepted and and points (or anyother rating system) is most welcome.

Mario
Old 05-14-2005, 03:44 PM
TE Expert

Agree with you, it's all what I'm not able to explain with my poor english.
Thanks Mario.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:55 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree with Mario and Vanessa. I seek others galleries thru Uncritiqued, and other countries. I also make it habit to look at those who leave comments on my site. I want to see their photos and I'm always curious to what they see in my photos. Yes, depending on my time, I don't have to see all the new photos and galleries here. But I do see your gallery, if you post a comment on mind. Cheers and enjoy, don't worry about groups, points and just go out and shot