Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

holmertz 2022-02-28 1:43

Hello Bev,
Maybe not quite the right Ukrainian blue tone, but it's a good attempt, and the Ukrainian nation deserves every act of solidarity, even the purely symbolical ones.

Next month Sweden, Poland and Czech Republic are to compete with Russia to qualify for the football World Cup. The three nations will all refuse to play against Russia, but the miserable international football union, FIFA, has - so far - decided that Russia can take part, under a "neutral flag". If they don't change their mind, Russia will qualify automatically!
At least Russia has been banned from the Eurovision song contest. Maybe that will hurt. :-(
Kind regards,
Gert

Old 02-28-2022, 08:58 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Football Tournament

Thanks, Gert.
The consolidated nations will have to apply more pressure to FIFA, rather than let them sit on the fence!
This is what we call Democracy!
There would be no World Cup if nations refused to participate against one rogue country!

Kind regards,
Bev
Old 02-28-2022, 11:08 AM
TE Expert

Isn't FIFA just another dictatorship???
Old 02-28-2022, 03:52 PM
TE Expert

Good news:
I have heard FIFA is going to change their mind later today:

"Fifa likely to follow IOC's calls and kick Russia out of Qatar World Cup"
Fifa had faced criticism for failing to explicitly kick Russia out of the qualification process for the 2022 World Cup
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics...ational-sport/

I know it sounds cruel to Russian people but I believe only by the complete isolation of Russia on every level, the country may notice that something is wrong and will possibly consider to find alternative leaders.
M
Old 02-28-2022, 05:01 PM
TE Expert

I heard it also two minutes ago:

FIFA and UEFA have just suspended all Russian football clubs, including the Russian national team.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:04 PM
TE Expert

And more.
UEFA is also ending its sponsorship deal with Russian energy giant Gazprom.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:41 PM
TE Expert

The international ski federation (FIS) still allows Russian and Belarusian skiers to take part in the cross-country skiing world cup. The Swedish city of Östersund, that should have hosted competitions in late March, has canceled its participation because it refuses to welcome athletes from those countries, but as for now they are likely to be allowed to Norway this week. Unless Drammen and Oslo cancel their arrangements or the FIS changes its mind.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:08 PM
TE Expert

I can hardly imagine that a country like Norway will allow the Russian and B-Russian skiers to participate.

I don't understand those sports organizations. Sport would be above politics. How can sport be above bombing cities, killing people and invading another country?
Are some people from the policy of sports organizations perhaps unworldly?
Old 03-04-2022, 07:41 PM
TE Expert

I think they try to be fair but sometimes their ideas are very complicated like letting Russians compete in Olympics as a Russian Olympic Committee which makes hardly a difference, or letting the young drugged Russian girl to compete even though she was caught taking drugs because she was underaged. They should really kick them out and that's it. If they repeatedly violate the rules they clearly don't get the idea of the Olympics.
Same with everything else, of course sport should be above but since average Russians still don't know what is going on in Ukraine, maybe kicking them out of everything will give them a message?
M
Old 03-05-2022, 07:42 AM

If individuals are going to be permitted to take part in competition, it should be purely as non-aligned athletes. There must be no mention of Russia in their name. For Olympic competition as an example, it should be International Olympic Committee, not Russian OC.