Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 AM
TE Expert

Default Photographs made by children

Hello.
I am a new member of this community, enjoy it a whole lot so far, still trying to find my ways around though.

Is it possible to create a "section" of photographs made by children, where everyone could post photos created by their kids. I have posted a photo in my account made by me 10 year old son, and to see the smile on his face when someone made a nice comment was priceless (he is also very proud of 8 points he earned), hence the idea.
I would like to have a place where interested members could add pics made by their little once, create somewhat of a sub community where we could cherish with hobby with our children and give them encouraging comments.
Is anything like this possible or how would I go about creating something like this (perhaps there is a setting already available but I am not aware of it).
Thanks for your help.
Peter
Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Photographs made by children

Each member should be posting photos taken by themselves. Separate accounts should be opened by others, including children.

You can create a list (click Create/Edit List on left-side menu section) to follow photos taken by children. Or you could create a group theme to group such photos together.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:18 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for your reply.
If I create a list or group theme would anyone be able to add photos to it or just me?

As far as children posting photos or opening accounts themselves, well it's your site and your rules, and that's fine by me, however since the quality of those photos wouldn't usually be very high it will result in no hits or comments at all, which are especially important for kids who need kind words of encouragment. If few of those photos are grouped together with pictures taken by a parent, which hopefully are of higher quality, the chances are better of receiving positive feedback, which again is even more important for the children than it is for the adults. My idea of setting up a list or a theme could also serve that purpose.

There are obviously other reasons why children's internet activity (if at all necessary) should be closely monitored by parents.
Peter
Old 10-13-2004, 09:38 PM
TE Senior Member

Time for trekkids.com perhaps?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:39 AM
TE Junior Member

I really like the idea of a special section for kids.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 AM
TE Newbie

You should be careful with recommending that children open their own account on a site like this. As far as I know, the United States has a law in effect that prohibits children under the age of 13 from opening accounts on the Internet, and I am not sure if other nations have any restrictions on children accessing the Net.

Sean
Old 10-14-2004, 09:57 AM
TE Expert

"As far as I know, the United States has a law in effect that prohibits children under the age of 13 from opening accounts on the Internet"

You are probably referring to the COPPA children's privacy policy which is directed against site operators, not children. Children can open any accounts they want.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure what I need to change, but there is a privacy policy listed on this site. Maybe a dedicated children's photo site would be better for children younger than 13 in the US.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 AM
TE Newbie

Yes, COPPA is what I am referring to. I'm not a lawyer either, so that would probably be something to check into with one near you.

Sean
Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 PM
TE Expert

If checking with lawyers or privacy policies are a huge issues when posting few pictures made by small children, then indeed I should take them to share with another community somewhere else.
Geez, the world we live in!?!
Peter
Old 10-16-2004, 02:18 PM
TE Newbie

It is sad, isn't it?

Sean