Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2022-01-04 12:40

Hello Ian,

I don't know with complete certainty whether its the truth but its a story that Ive heard in Belgium since my childhood.
Before the 17th century, there were carrots in different colours, mostly purple and white. In the seventeenth century, however, the orange carrot was discovered. That century was also the Golden Age for the Netherlands.
The new carrot was orange because it contains extra beta-carotene.
It also tasted sweeter than the other carrots and above all it had a more politically interesting colour.

The Dutch royal family, that was the son of William of Orange (in English also called William the Silent or William the Taciturn) and his wife had decided that it would be great public relations if orange became the national colour in the Netherlands and they decided to spread that colour more.
For example, castles were painted completely orange.
The royal family also had orange trees planted in all their palace gardens, which is not obvious for these trees to bear fruit in that northern part of Europe.
After the family of Orange coloured the Netherlands orange, the population followed this trend.
In the 17th century, oranges were too pricey for most people, but carrots weren't then. At that time, the Netherlands were the largest grower of carrots worldwide and the Dutch carrot farmers decided patriotically to grow only orange carrots.
Ultimately, these carrots conquered the world

I don't want to put my hand in the fire for this explanation.
But here this story has been told for a very long time as the reason why most carrots are orange. Maybe wait a bit to see what the Dutch TE members will answer.
In any case, the inhabitants of Belgium believe that the Dutch are capable of this :)

As for your photos:
The man in your main photo does indeed appears to be meditating. Perhaps hes trying to guess how much the buyer is willing to pay.
The Uzbek bread also looks special.

Best regards, Paul

Old 01-05-2022, 02:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To PaulVDV: Re carrots

Thanks Paul for that more detailed history of orange carrots and related Dutch issues.
Cheers
Ian
Old 01-05-2022, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

Hello Paul and Ian,

Very interesting note about the colours of the carrots. I saw the yellow carrots in Uzbekistan. Sometimes I could buy in Carrefour the frozen vegetables with the yellow carrots - they are good for plov. Maybe they are better than orange ones as they are less sweet.
I have found some pages about this story about Dutchmen. It seems it is quite popular. And carrots were also white, red and purple. Interesting picture you can find here: https://www.livescience.com/why-are-carrots-orange.html

I think that the orange carrots are the best because of the high content of beta-caroten.

Best regrads MAlgo