Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: RAW help

Just copy the whole map to your hard-drive from the camera. Working from the hard-drive is faster than from the camera itself. When you work in Photoshop then is working with the RAW files much faster when you transfer them first to your hard-drive.

Forget the JPG's, they are nice, but RAW is really what counts.
RAW cost to much space?

Memory is cheap, memories are priceless..!!!

Have a nice weekend ;-)

Henk
Old 08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
TE Expert

Ok, I not just checked the manual - there's a 'communication' setting in the camera menu which you must set to PTP to get the function I described. This is what it says...

Trust me, if it does work with other EOS dSLR, it doesn't work with the 5D. Canon has not implemented mass storage functionnality in this camera (Which is a shame, I agree).
Old 08-18-2006, 04:58 PM
TE Expert

heheh a CF reader was a prize I ot for winning a contest:) But I shouldnt HAVE to use one, Canon is in my opinion negligent in not provid9ng that software.
=====================
must be something with your setting Rafal, I download raw files directly from the camera without any problems (I had similar issues with my Oly 7070 though, couldn't figure it out and was simply shooting jpeg).
Peter
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: RAW help - get a card reader

just get a CF card reader - then your card will be like an external drive. I never connect my camera to PC, too much hassle, a card reader is much more convinient.
I also use BreezeBrowser Pro from BreezeSys, a great software to work with RAW files
Old 08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
TE Senior Member

When I got my 20D it didnt work at all with my mac os10.4. After speaking to the tech guys at canon (at length) in the end I got it working by using the mac program 'image capture' rather than the canon software which I have never managed to get working. Once the raw files are downloaded I can edit them in canons digital photo professional, which was sup[plied with the camera (although I needed an update for mac os10.4).
hope this helps
cheers,david
Old 08-18-2006, 05:48 PM
TE Senior Member

I have read that you have a cardreader already Rafal, I am certainly with those who would suggest you use that. I know that for many users, the CF readers are just easier and not only are they easier, they have a much faster transfer rate than the USB2 connections on a camera. Also, IMO, it is much safer. If I have the camera hooked up to the computer via cable, I could:

A) Have the camera on the floor.
This is probably the safest, but it does leave one open to the chance that he/she gets up from the computer and tangles his/her foot in the cable. Potentially, this could damage either the USB slot on the computer, or the USB connection on the camera.

B) Have the camera on your computer desk.
Here, the problem wouldn't be getting your feet tangled, but perhaps your hands could get tangled, or maybe someone walks by the desk and catches the cable. Potentially, your camera could be in for a fall, which might be a very expensive mistake. A worst case scenario here is that even more damage is done to the camera or lens. The other negative possibilities are all still very possible here too.

The camera hooked to the computer is inelegant for another reason. If I am using a desktop, I have to actually get on my knees to get at my computer, which is tucked away under my desk. The way I have it now is that my cardreader is actually velcroed to the top of my monitor and the cable is reasonably neatly connected to my computer so that you would have to look to see it. Nice and neat, safe, more elegant and faster downloads. I just see no reason to hook the camera up directly. Maybe if I was only using a laptop it would be different, yet on my laptop, I have never once hooked the camera up directly either.