Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-01-28 3:21

Hello Bev, Beautiful picture of Amanita muscaria, or fly agaric. Nice composition, indeed like from a fairy tale book. These beautiful mushrooms are very common in Polish forests. I love the views of them.
For me, the strange is the title. What are toadstools?
As I found, toadstool is an unscientific label that is sometimes applied to certain types of mushrooms. It usually refers to colorful and poisonous or inedible mushrooms. There is no biological distinction between a toadstool and mushroom that scientists make. In Polish, we have no similar distinction. If the mushroom is edible or poisonous, has nothing to do with colours.

In Workshop, there is another Amanita muscaria, but older. They become flat. They are poisonous. They are noted for their hallucinogenic properties. A local variety of the mushroom was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the indigenous peoples of Siberia and by the Sámi

The other one is not huge. Probably it is Paxillus involutus, commonly known as the brown roll-rim. It was eaten, but now it is proved to be poisonous.
Best regrads MAlgo

Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Toadstool

Thank you for your warm critique, Malgo and for identifying the fungus.
I thought you might know it!

Toadstool is a term usually used for poisonous fungi, and mushroom to those fungi that are edible though there are poisonous mushroom, too!

Children's stories frequently included toadstools, like this, which were the homes of gnomes, or places that fairy folk gathered.

Have a good day, Bev :-)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 AM
TE Expert

Talking

Hi Bev, I added something to my critique. I am a mycologist - amateur .
I used to recognize a lot of kind of mushrooms but now I rarely collect them.
Take care

MAlgo